Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

just got new plugs and wires put on and as soon as they cranked it up with a scanner on "open loop" #3 was still misfiring.
(Been chasing P0303 for a while)

Just wanted to do a sanity check with you guys.....the mind set is it must be the intake manifold gasket is leaking and that is how the oil is getting onto the plug.

i gave the mech go-ahead to replace the intake gasket to try and stop the oil from leaking on the plug....

hope that will stop it and won't have to have major surgery diggin into the motor.....
-ALF

·
Registered
772 Posts
whats he charging you?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plug wire 225
intake 300
not sure what that matters.... :-/
-ALF out...

·
Registered
772 Posts
plug wire 225
intake 300
not sure what that matters.... :-/
-ALF out...
just processing the numbers in my head to see how much i save doing my own work thats all man

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Oil can get on the plug from bad valve seals and worn piston rings.
Agreed +1 - I think you are getting hosed if they say it is comimg from the intake leaking.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
The valve stem seal does seem more likely, and it would be easier to check than pulling the intake manifold, although I don't know how much you can tell just by looking at it unless it's obviously trashed. Somehow, the intake manifiold gasket seems like kind of a long shot to me.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for the input guys....

Even the FSM says to replace the intake gasket before diggin into the valve seals.....so i am not sure why i would think i'm getting hosed or told to replace something that is fine...?

oil is NOT dripping on the part of the plug stickin out of the head....;)
plug is getting fouled with oil and causing a misfire.

"E" i thought you have to take the head off to check valve stem seal?
no.... then how you get a look at it ?
-ALF out....

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Pull the valve cover. Valve stem seals go around the stem where it passes through the heads, and worn seals can cause some oil burning (source of a lot of the "blue smoke on startup" type questions). You'd have to pull the heads to take a look at the seats. I would definitely pull the intake before the heads. If the FSM suggests the intake manifold gasket, it's less of a long shot than I would have thought (no big surprise there though!).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The valve stem seals are under the rocker covers.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I hope the gasket is your problem.

Regardless of what the FSM says, I would think I was getting hosed because I would check rings and valve seals before even thinking about the intake.

I will be amazed if the intake ends up being the problem personally.

Does the intake leak any where else?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we shall see......

the car ran pretty good before i dropped it off...I have no idea if intake is leaking anywhere...externally looking at the motor all is fine.
what clued me in was my hand under the tail pipe. DR side puffed to a different beat than the PASS side...:p
-ALF out...

I hope the gasket is your problem.

Regardless of what the FSM says, I would think I was getting hosed because I would check rings and valve seals before even thinking about the intake.

I will be amazed if the intake ends up being the problem personally.

Does the intake leak any where else?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my misfire is fixed, the fuel injector needed to be cleaned.
so if it runs fine, and power is better than when i brought it in, and no more CEL every 30 miles..... I call it a win.

Next time i have a problem related to oil on plug #3 and it's the valve train, I'll just spring for the Beehives while were in there.... :cool:
-ALF out...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
so if it runs fine, and power is better than when i brought it in, and no more CEL every 30 miles..... I call it a win.

Next time i have a problem related to oil on plug #3 and it's the valve train, I'll just spring for the Beehives while were in there.... :cool:
-ALF out...
But, does that explain oil in the cylinder. I'm thinking, even if there were so injector firing and that cylinder was dead, it still shouldn't be getting soaked in oil.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike,
it's 2 seperate issues, oil on plug and misfire.
oil on plug is not fixed, and it could be a few things, parts in valve train, piston rings, etc....

I can't afford to pay to guess, (the intake for example) even the flow chart in the FSM on how to find the problem posed expensive choices like removing the head....

if im lucky it's a slow leak, if i'm not the car will sit til i can pay to make another "guess"
-ALF out....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

-ALF out...
So did you pay to have the gasket replaced and that wasn't the problem? If so, what does your mechanic say about that?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
grandpa,

i "ok" all work on my car....we all know there are multiple places oil can be leaking and ending up on the plug, some more likely than others. I gambled and lost.......
I don't expect to work for free, so i don't expect others too either.
I have not picked the car up yet, they are still calculating the bill, maybe they will give me a break and not charge full price for the intake gasket replacement....?
they have fixed stuff for free for me before when i expected to be charged so maybe now things will be "evened" out so to speak over the long haul....
-ALF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts