Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a fun trip. Sold a car in Columbus, OH, and one in OKC, so brought them both to Columbus...

Then, drove the Caprice to Oklahoma City, stopping in Tulsa to drop a cargo floor to 92CustomCruiser. In his father's shop, I found this:

Then, I picked up my wagon, 35k mile 96 RMW, which looked like this before I had the windows tinted (I'm the guy on the left, my buddy who helps me in OK is on the right)

Then I got the windows tinted:

Then, after leaving 60 degree upstate NY, I sweated my ass of in Oklahoma:

91 degrees before noon is unholy.

Then, I got her home and washed ten years of Oklahoma red dirt/clay off the bottom, and here's what I found:

All in all, I'd say it was worth the trip. Just thought I'd share.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cool. Fred, that's the one with practically zilcho miles on it?

How dark tint did you put on it? Man, I need to tint my windows...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very Nice Wagon Fred..... Thanks for the phone call as you passed through.... it's a shame I wasnt in town to meet ya but I have to say.... as nice as a fella you are I'll still take loungin' on the white sands of the Flordia coast. I guess I'll just have to catch up with ya later on! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joel, I put 15 on the rear except 30 on the front doors.

Bill, I THINK I want to keep her, but I AM a dealer, and HAVE to try to sell her. I'm listing her on eBay for $12,500 firm. And if she doesn't sell (and I rather hope she doesn't) then I'll keep her.

Greg, you should have RUSHED back to Springfield to meet me! What, choose seeing white sands over white WB4? Resign!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you think 91 before lunch is bad, wait until you start seeing triple digits daily.

It's worth it to me to never have to shovel snow again though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice looking car Fred, hope you're enjoying it! I'm sure you are. I finally found someone out here that I know that actually appreciates the car I bought. Most people can't figure out why I bought a wagon. This guy I was working with today on a project has a friend in the area that has a white woody lowered on big rims apparently and he thinks its pretty cool. Can't wait to get rims on mine.

For those of you that have your windows tinted in the front, isn't it hard to see out the sides at night? I'm going to tint all the back windows but was considering either no tint or 50% on the front sides. I'd probably go with the 50% but my wife is concerned she won't be able to see at night to turn the corners. By law I really even can't go 50% but many people do and get away with it and the penalty isn't a moving violation so it isn't severe anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fred,

You now have in your possession THE wagon I have been looking for. Please hold onto it for about two years until I'm out of school and making some real dough again. ;)

She's a beauty, take good care of her. A friend of mine long ago said of vehicle colors, "If it ain't white, it ain't right." It's a saying I pretty much agree with.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Wishin:

For those of you that have your windows tinted in the front, isn't it hard to see out the sides at night? I'm going to tint all the back windows but was considering either no tint or 50% on the front sides. I'd probably go with the 50% but my wife is concerned she won't be able to see at night to turn the corners. By law I really even can't go 50% but many people do and get away with it and the penalty isn't a moving violation so it isn't severe anyway.
Wow, my second thread-jack of the day... ;)

I have 20% on my rear windows, 35% on the rear doors and 50% on the front windows. I've had it that way on my last 4 cars and love it. I can see just fine at night, even backing up. And it looks great from the outside, too! Check out the pics of the original Fatwagon or pics of my SS. I've yet to tint the Fatwoody but will do it the same way when I do.

And again Fred, I hope you can have some time to enjoy her!!! :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then, after leaving 60 degree upstate NY, I sweated my ass of in Oklahoma:

91 degrees before noon is unholy.
Yep, I rode my motorcycle to Arkansas last weekend (and sat in 1.5 hours of 90 degree traffic in rush hour in St. Louis on Friday too), and was riding in the Ozarks on Saturday when it was like 94 and HUMID! If the roads weren't good enough to completely SHAG the edges of my tires, it would've been MISERABLE! :D

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, my non-wood cost ME more than double what your non-wood cost YOU, so I hope it's nicer than yours! :D

Kevin, buyers of the two goldies paid for gas (and time) so I only had to pay on the trip back. I measured mileage on one tank of gas when I filled up somewhere between Rolla & St. Louis. From there, I drove well into Indiana, and when I refilled, I calculated 24.02 mpg at 75 average with the air on half of the way through those big hills just west of St. Louis. Man, you just can't beat that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by nomrlz:
you coulda just dropped that off in IL on your way home :D

i'd even bought drinks that night
Get your own. Oh, wait - you did! But this car is WAY nicer than that piece of crap I stuck you with! :D

Just kiddin' - you'll love it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Ruphrax:
John, my non-wood cost ME more than double what your non-wood cost YOU, so I hope it's nicer than yours! :D

Kevin, buyers of the two goldies paid for gas (and time) so I only had to pay on the trip back. I measured mileage on one tank of gas when I filled up somewhere between Rolla & St. Louis. From there, I drove well into Indiana, and when I refilled, I calculated 24.02 mpg at 75 average with the air on half of the way through those big hills just west of St. Louis. Man, you just can't beat that.
Fred, does your car have the tow package or the 2.56 gears? That's awesome mileage. So far the best I've gotten in my '94 wagon is 21.00 mpg (actually 20.99, but I rounded up...sounds better) with 2.93's. That's about 85-90% highway and 10-mile trips (commute to/from work). My '96 sedan (also with LT1 and 2.93's) gets about 1.0-1.5 mpg better than the '94 wagon on the same commute. I wonder if the OBD2 in the '96 cars enables better mileage (the EPA rating for them is 1 mpg (highway) better in '96.
Could just be the weight difference though...my commute has lots of hills to climb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a fun trip Fred
That is a BEAUTIFUL White RMW
And I love the shots of the tan wagons.
I just drove from here (Louisville) to L.A. and back so we kinda just missed each other!!! I knew you might be out there, but every wagon I saw had some "Old Fart" in it :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Brokecello:
Looks like a fun trip Fred
That is a BEAUTIFUL White RMW
And I love the shots of the tan wagons.
I just drove from here (Louisville) to L.A. and back so we kinda just missed each other!!! I knew you might be out there, but every wagon I saw had some "Old Fart" in it :rolleyes:
Funny, because on my trip, I only saw FOUR other wagons, ALL of which were in Missouri - three westbound on I-44 that I passed, and one Olds heading east. Sliiiiiim pickins out there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.