Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Rustic front end kit (not poly) but not being able to afford the downtime, I bought two new G.M. arms (L/U & L/L) to add to the other two used arm I had. Can I mix the Rustic bushings and the G.M. bushings?

TIA

Correction both Left Side

[ 03-19-2007, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: SwagonS ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are mixing rubber and rubber, right? If that is the case, you should be fine and should not be able to tell a difference. Someone could easily imagine that they notice a difference because they know that the bushings came from 2 different sources.
If you are mixing rubber and poly, you will not die, but you could notice a difference. Poly will be firmer and also articulates more freely. Poly bushings actually rotate between the inside diameter and the inside sleeve. Rubber bushings on the other hand do not rotate about either, the ruber bushing itself twists. The resistance to rotation of the arm due to bushing is small compared to the moment caused by the spring force, so the firmness of poly should be the only noticeable difference.
If you are mixing rubber and poly, at least energy suspension poly bushings will require that you use the energy suspension outer sleeve also, the stock outer sleeves are thinner material making the ES poly bushings loose in the stock outer sleeves.
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to include, I would not recommend mixing poly and rubber, however it could be done temporarily in an emergency, but reading your post again I just noticed that you are mixing rubber and rubber...
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
COOL! I was worried the different brands would effect handling, but if rubbers rubber, this will cut down on down time big!

Thanks Tim!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may also want to PM or call Rustic to find out if he is aware of any major differences between the bushings that he is selling and the stock ones, just in case. There should not be anything, could even come from the same manufacturer possibly.
Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.