Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Another option is to just buy a obd1 pc cable. If you have a laptop, you can read codes, clear codes, program/tune, etc.... You can find free scanning programs online, but tuning SW generally has a price (for the good ones).

http://www.pcmperformance.com/cables.html

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
For just a reader/scanner check ebay. They are way cheaper then buying them at the parts store.
Be careful - the really cheap ones are a paper clip in a plastic case. Get one that actually reads codes - not just turn your fans on. Before the crash, there were some threads on the good ones - they really do exist.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I have this Craftsman model. I've never had a problem reading any obd1 or obd2 code, or clearing them.

Except for my '95 Roadmaster. I still don't know why it won't read codes on the Roadmaster. All it does is turn on the fans... thankfully I could pull them from the climate control in the Roadmaster.

It has pulled codes on many other obd1 and obd2 cars without a problem. It was about $280 new though. Paid for itself many times...

Technology Electronic device Office equipment

Tool Machine Hammer drill Impact driver

Text Font

Product Technology Electronic device Electronics Machine

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Buy the 50$ cable. Download the free software. Get a laptop, preferably running winblows xp if possible. Use it.

Don't buy the 5$ China cable & try to make your own, it's crap (ask me how i know).

I recently learned my lesson with cables & scanners the hard way. Wasted time & money guessing & buying an unnecessary pcm.

Sent from my Commodore64, excuse typos & brevity.

·
Registered
981 Posts
$50 for a cable is wasted beer $.

~$5 or less on eBay for ftdi232rl ttl usb board.
$5 walmart usb cable if you don't have one?
Been using them for years w/o any problems.
Buy a few, if one fails or is bad so be it.

EEHack is free toss a donation to steve for his time/effort.
TunerPro download and donate/register. worth $30 if you want to tune a little.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
$50 for a cable is wasted beer $.

~$5 or less on eBay for ftdi232rl ttl usb board.
$5 walmart usb cable if you don't have one?
Been using them for years w/o any problems.
Buy a few, if one fails or is bad so be it.
This sounds good, and may work for most. I'm glad it worked for you, generally I don't have issues with that sort of thing. But it did not for me, for me it was a waste of time- 3 week wait for a china cable and wasted 3 days messing with software drivers and what not just to find out the damn thing was junk.

The $50 dollar cable was made in the USA! and got here in 3 days and worked. No splicing, soldering, taping, etc. Plug and play.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.