Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although my 94 RMW has been remarkably free of problems, at 25 years old anything can happen. Thinking about this scanner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNV89CX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

One of the few that has OBDI ability.

Your thoughts and advce is appreciated. Already have an older OBDII unit which works well but updating would be good. But mostly interested in comments on the OBDI features.

Any other alternative models with OBDI is welcome.

Pages 108 - 113 gives additional info:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D10Dy5W9dDS.pdf

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had a look at the manual, It does not explicitly state that it can read live data, SIR or ABS codes. The Ford listing shows functions like a Ford tool including live data tests.

Many will suggest computer programs but if you want a scanner that will do DTC, SIR, ABS, and live data I think you will be looking at the used market as most new scanners are not full feature on the old OBDI. Buy local and make sure you can test and return.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Unless you are planning to use on newer obdii cars as well? I'd skip it.

Only scanner for an obdi b-body worth buying is probably the tech2.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Only scanner for an obdi b-body worth buying is probably the tech2.
No doubt this is the tool to compare others to. It has some two way function checks. Does it have data logging?

I have a OTC Monitor 4000 Enhanced with a Pathfinder and ABS cartridge. With the right cables it also works with many older systems than the OBDI. Old Mac and Snap-On units may be as good as the Tech 2. A OTC 4000 or 2000 may have enough functions but I have not touched one.

I like the scanner because it never asks or starts a upgrade when I need to use it. The OTC cartridge system enforces a standard. My ford New Generation Star tester has rewritable cartridges so it is very hard(and expensive) to know what updates are on one. Ford actually would remove functions while updating so I need two versions of the same one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts