Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been happening prior to having my suspension redone, but I may not have heard it.

When I intitally back out of my parking space at my apartment, I hear a noise (PS front) such as metal sliding against metal... almost a thump. I have no real noises when going over bumps or such, but when I brake a little hard or go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward the noise reappears.

At first I thought it may be something having to do with Hotchkis springs or being lowered, but at this point I really dont know.

From a glance I can see all the bolts are tight and everything is lubed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Any change when the brakes are applied?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Should the bushings be completly pressed in on the upper control arms??? I have 1/16 to 1/8 gap on in the rear firewall side!!!!!

If its not one thing, its always another!!!!!!!

Rant is over!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I know for sure the DS is good. I will have to check the PS.

Any change when the brakes are applied?
its only when the car sudden shifts forward or backward. I originally thought it was the calipers rocking in place, but I checked them today and they're solid...maybe the pads???

But to answer your question, no. If going lets say 45mph and hit the brakes hard enough it will make the noise, but on a slow roll, it will not.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
It could be universal joints, or the mounts for the rear arms are oval, and it is "taking up the slack".

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible that it could be my Hotchkis swaybar?

I see its been rubbing on the tie rods...

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Could be I know that my front end makes a wierd sound only when I am turning and loading the suspension, backing up or what not, now I have Hotchkis springs but not the bars and I am running an Fbody front bar on mine, with being said in my car with full weight on it when I had it up on ramps tigheening everything down , the tie rod ends are damn close to the frame, well the adjustment sleeves anyway, I will look on mine and see if that is where iit is contacting it.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be I know that my front end makes a wierd sound only when I am turning and loading the suspension, backing up or what not, now I have Hotchkis springs but not the bars and I am running an Fbody front bar on mine, with being said in my car with full weight on it when I had it up on ramps tigheening everything down , the tie rod ends are damn close to the frame, well the adjustment sleeves anyway, I will look on mine and see if that is where iit is contacting it.

Not to say I'm glad yours does the same, but its kind of reassuring.

Its driving me crazy to put it lightly. If everything is AOK, then I got no problem. But its the thought of paying a large amount of money to have it done correctly and spending another day off to get it redone.

I want to think its a couple of things...

Brakes... (or an excuse to buy some Kore3 brakes). I have 30,000 miles on the current brakes, but the calipers are tight. I've never heard of pads rocking in place.

Springs. I also have the insulators in place for the springs. Could the top of the springs be making the noise?

Yesterday I spent a couple hours trying to diagnose it. I jumped on the bumper and heard nothing. I pushed the car back and forth to only hear the trans to bring it to a stop.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah rocking doesn't do it on mine either, jumping up and down doesn't either, only when back out and turning left mainly, it almost does a *booong* or a pop and it feels like something breaks free, I need to look at mine as well I just haven't had the time to even think about it, I wouldn't think it would be the springs but who knows. I have del-a lums in the control arms of my car as well with new ball joints and all that. Actually I talked to Mr. Harper about it on the phone and he lended some good advice and wasn't sure either, I was going to start looking at it, then the company I worked for shut down, so no time. Good luck man. if like mine it only does it more often when it is turned a certain way I would turn it that way and look at everything underneath to see if anything is close.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I've learned don't always trust a sound is coming from where I initially thought. With that said, and if it wasn't aleardy mentioned, check all 8 a-arm bushings in front (for wear not just appearance), all 8 control arm bushings in back, and even any indication of a CA bolt that's hogged out a frame hole.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Very true 96 black, food for thought is there is "engineered" slop in the rear control arm mounting holes to adjust pinion angle to a certain point, although not a huge slot or anything it should be noted that even if the mounting bolt looks like it is sloppy in the hole (insert dirty comment here :) ) it may be just that engineered slop at that mounting point.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if like mine it only does it more often when it is turned a certain way I would turn it that way and look at everything underneath to see if anything is close.
I have also noticed a noise when leaving work.

Our parking lot entrance isnt pitched very much, but when turing right and going over the gutter on to the street it also makes the noise...right front. This only happens if I dont slow roll it on to the street.

After rereading this thread a couple times, I will have to agree on the same noise, Mike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts