Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A few short months ago we purchases a 1995 Roadmaster Limited sedan with 46k miles on the clock. At first glance the car was in perfect condition. However, while driving at speeds above, say, about 45 mph, you can slightly move the steering wheel and get what feels like ---- well, I can't really even explain.

It is almost like you turn the wheel to change lanes and at a certain point you feel the steering "shift" on you. You have to correct slightly and then you are fine.

We've had Roadmasters for quite some time and I drove our other vehicle -- a 1994 Roadmaster wagon with 91k miles on the clock and noticed it does the same thing. The wagon, however, doesn't do it with as much force and it happens less frequently.

So I guess to sum it up, it feels like a "slipping", or "shifting", "hitch".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm worried this could be a safety issue.

Best,

Dustin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's infamous on Fleetwoods, - wasn't aware as much on RMs. However, you obviously got the Vari-Assist steering from the sounds of it.

BTW, the "official" term is 'jerkover', as in, "disconcerting as HELL (gonna pheukin' kill me one of these days) Jerkover!"

Not sure about here, but do a Search in FW. You can unplug the connector at the firewall to go 'full-time full-assist', and, I think you can buy a new switch for like either $80 or $300 (forget which).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup my wagon had that problem. some roadies have it, some don't. the plug is on the steering shaft under the hood, right at firewall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I unplugged the unit and the sedan drives great. Sure, its power assist all the time now, but it is 100% better (not to mention feels safer) than the jerk.

I'll leave the wagon hooked up for now as it isn't nearly as bad. IT was the sedan that was scary. Almost made me hate the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Zoraone:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I unplugged the unit and the sedan drives great. Sure, its power assist all the time now, but it is 100% better (not to mention feels safer) than the jerk.

I'll leave the wagon hooked up for now as it isn't nearly as bad. IT was the sedan that was scary. Almost made me hate the car.
Is there any down side to unplugging the Vari-Assist? Will it wear out the PS pump sooner?
How does the variable assist actually work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.