Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is probably something answered many times before but im new to this so here goes..

got my car about 2 months ago.. odometer worked fine.. after 2 weeks.. it started getting dim.. after a month.. it disapeared.. completely.. ok fine.. no big deal ill live without it.. then i go to kill a bug on my dash.. i hit it and .. the odometer slowly fades back.. to VERY BRIGHT.. probably too bright.. worked great for about 3 days.. and then dies again.. i heard about a resistor in the cluster or something.. anyone got more info this.. and is this a "Do-it yourselfer"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry is basically right.

Don't waste the time inspecting. Just prepare to replace them. The solder joints are probably gone.

NAISSO makes a kit that moves the resistors and has a MUCH larger heat sink.

I just finished that repair last night on #2. I took some pictures, but many are blurry, so I won't get to finish my writeup until I do the repair on #1.

Good luck,

Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just fixed mine today. Previously, I had just re-soldered the existing resistors and it worked for just a little bit. I found that the resistors themselves were not good anymore.

Save yourself some money and go to Fry's or Radio Shack and buy three 1W 100 ohm resistors and replace the existing ones. Mine cost me a whopping $.95 (that's cents). The kit you buy from the superstore will run you about $15 + shipping and will do the exact same thing. Just be prepared to do a little soldering and be sure to test your continuity before reassembling.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Mike

G

·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For $15.00 it is worth getting the kit. Apparently it is the heat that eventually causes the resistors to fail so relocating the resistors along with a heat sink is a lasting fix. Plus, it you're not successful making the repair on your own you can take the cluster along with the kit and directions to a local "tv/vcr" repair shop who should be able to knock this out in 10 minutes. It is such a no-brainer for them they might not even charge you. Plus, with an older car it is possible that previous owners had already tried reflowing the solder or swapping out the resistors in the past. When I first had this problem and took out my cluster I could tell that a repair had been previously done. I reflowed the solder but it only worked for a couple thousand miles. Did it again and it only lasted a few hundred miles. By the time I finally got the kit the amateur-repaired area was in pretty bad shap so I had to take it in to the tv/vcr shop to get the kit installed. He cleaned up all the old solder, and traces, added a jumper because one of the traces must have been damaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.