Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is nothing new but how do you go about fixing the odometer when it quits illuminating?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
96's have a failure mode where the resistors are not up to the current demand. The fix is to spread the load through 3 of them, do a search and you should be grinning.

Peter May

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try reflowing the resistors on the back of the gauge cluster. Not that difficult but if you've never soldered before I'd get some help. You can also buy the repair kit from the Superstore for $20 but it also requires soldering (you actually remove the resistors and replace them with a remote-mounted heat sink) I reflowed my '96 cluster twice and the dealer did it once under warranty. This Spring it failed again, completely this time. I had to send it to Southern Electronics in VA for a new power supply. Four day turn-around from Souther, one year guarantee but cost just over $200 for the repair.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Jones:
....You can also buy the repair kit from the Superstore for $20....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.impalaclub.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hard is it to get that big trim panel off the front of the dash? I started to tear it down once but was afraid I might break it. I guess there is no other way to get the guage cluster out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year model car do you have kink96ss? If you have a 94-96 I have the awnser either way, I have Z clusters and I have some stock clusters. There is two 7mm bolts that holds the black breazel on, they are on the top. Take those out and pry her loss.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting the guage bezel out was no problem, it was the big trim panel that goes under the steering wheel ect. The car is a 96SS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10-4 on that kink96ss, there is one 7mm bolt on the left side fuse panel box, a few at the botton, and one when you slide the ash tray out it is up under neath there below the radio. After you have the black brezel off you just pull it off. There is one wire that is for a light in the ash tray you have to carefull with, other than those two hidden bolts it's easy. Hope this helps, if not who cares I have nothing to do any ways.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can remove your cluster WITHOUT removing the lower part of the dash. I have outlined it below.

I am sure you know how to take the cluster apart, but just in case I will explain how I do it.

1. Remove the two screws in the upper part of the black dash bezel surrounding the instrument cluster.
2. Pull on the bezel from bottom and it should pop free. Remove the black bezel.
3. Remove the 8 screws holding the clear plastic cover onto the instrument cluster.
4. Remove the clear plastic cover and middle black cover under it.
5. Gently pull the face of the instrument cluster off. You may have to pull the edges off separately as they have a sticky side that seems to attach to the plastic and not want to let go. It will come off, but just be careful.
6. Remove the 4 screws holding the rest of the cluster into the dash.
7. Pull on the cluster and it should come free. This is the easiest way to remove the cluster I have found without scratching the cluster or your steering column.

If you solder the instrument cluster and it still dosent work, post here or email me drirect and I can probably walk you through fixing it on your own. Without having to send or spend much if any money on it.

Thanks,
TOM B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can probably do the job via the directions above, but if I remember correctly, you do not have to take the 8 screws out that hold the clear plastic cover on. Just remove the 4 screws, and unplug the whole assembly, it'll take a little effort to pull it free.

To see what you're getting involved in, go here: http://www.regionofdoom.com/default.htm

click on tech gallery, then on odometer fix.

Fixed mine a couple of years ago, by reflowing the solder where the resistors connect to the circuit board (I added a tiny bit), no failures since.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get the cluster out WITHOUT touching (let alone removing) the lower dash.

Just remove the bezel (2 7mm screws pointed up, then PULL), the 8 silver screws that hold the plastic lense to the cluster (torx or oddball socket), then the 4 7mm screws that hold the cluster in the dash. At that point, just pull and rotate and the cluster comes right out.

Once you've done it a few times, it'll take you all of 5 minutes IF you're taking a beer break in the middle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice. I`ll give it a shot and post again when I`m done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom

Can you help me with a 94 SS that the LED is black? It worked when I got the car as an auction vehicle (hit) month ago although it was erratic. Now it's black including the signal indicator arrows. I've had it apart a couple of times and cleaned the connections as well as bent up the tabs very gently but it's still black. Not even a flicker.

Thanks if you can (or can't) help.

Carl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.