Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis message relates to odometer on 96 Impala SS. A few years ago the odometer went blank. I took out the cluster and I applied the NAISSO fix and installed the resistor unit as described here and all worked fine. Recently, the odometer went blank for a few minutes while driving. I shut the car off at home, when I started it again, the odometer came back but with invalid mileage. The correct mileage was about 115,000, it came back at about 83,000 and something. It is working, clicking off miles from there. The Miles/KM works and the trip meter resets and works correctly.

So it works but not correct mileage. My concern is that the inspection sticker on the car has the old mileage and when I get the car inspected later this year, questions will arise. Also, I have maint records with mileage recorded, and now will have maint records with incorrect mileage. Kind of suspicious when I try and sell the car.

Any ideas on how to fix ?? Are there contacts for the odometer I can clean with isopropyl alcohol or is it a re-solder job somewhere ??? I assume the mileage is correct in the PCM but the display is wrong.

Thx for any and all help. RIck

·
Registered
932 Posts
miles are stored only in the instrument panel and not the PCM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In that case, is the original miles lost ? and then it does not matter what I do, as the miles displayed is what is stored in the panel ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
sounds like the chip in the inst. cluster had a failure or burp of some kind.. A good speedometer/instrument repair guy can fix it, as well as the dealer ($$$)

I know when I replaced my cluster with another one that had been repaired and had a white face added, the display showed the milage of the doner car. Luckily the milage wasn't too far off of the true numbers.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Samething happened with my old car, went from like 90k to 300k! It was weird but went back and forth but always went back to right mileage...I would find one in your range and swap her out, you could sell yours also and come out even atleast...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts