Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the trailer hitch but had never connected the trailer light wiring because I didn't want to hack into the '96 Impala SS wiring. I just discovered this kit and it is a factory solution. It has the pigtails that plug into the stock wiring inside the left rear fender. AC Delco part number is TC217 and the GM number is 88860646. I found mine on clearance at Amazon but they are also available from Rockauto. It is designed to connect into the car's wiring harness and be left in the trunk until you need to connect it to your trailer. When you need it, just run the wire out between the trunk lid and the car body, the weatherstripping will give enough to prevent pinching. The instructions warn not to run it near the latch. I added about a 4 foot section to the ground wire and grounded it beside the connector, which is just under the left fender lip near the left taillight. I also added some zip ties to tie it all together. I plan to cover the line with 3/8" crinkle cover when I get some. I had to work inside the trunk boxes but you will find it very easy to connect. I used a 1/2" self-tapping screw to secure the ground. If you decide to use the same location, make sure you have plenty of room between the 2 pieces of metal for the screw, because the top one is the outside of the fender. That would be an ugly mistake. I checked the lights for proper operation after it was done. Overall, it is a quality factory piece that is a little expensive, but still available.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts