Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am posting in the wrong place, but the wagon guys answer questions much faster. Question; I am moving to deer country and I am wondering if any of those electronic deer deterants really work. After reading all the posts from people that have hit deer, I think that maybe nothing really works. Am I right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Weeeeell, I've not seen any evidence either way.

My insurance agent recommends those little whistle things that go on the front bumper, look like little tiny fog horns. I figure, they cost a few bux so even if they don't work, you're not out much.

Sufficiently vague?

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As above I have no clue and I'm certainly in deer country.

Can't hurt for little money but please, hide them the best you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've hit 3 deer with 3 different caprices, my '95 being the most recent.

Insurance paid me $1500, so I bought $575 worth of parts, and did the work myself. I used the remaining money towards a low mile 9C1 parts-car

That deer was good to me... which makes up for the one that would have totalled my '91 wagon if I had it insured for more than just liability :(

Dad owns a body-shop, and we get cars in all the time that have deer whistles on them, and hair and blood splattered on them... with about $2000 damage to the car. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best thing is the knowledge of what deer do and how they act. If there is one there will likely be more! A fast eye and brake foot will save you 99% of the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all the driving I've done, I've only hit one, and that was because the road was glare ice. I couldn't stop, and he couldn't go. Neither of us had traction.
Like someone mentioned, it's rare that there is just one deer. They usually hang out in small groups. If you see one crossing the road, don't focus on him, look for the ones who are following, all the while being ready for the first one to change direction.
Don't swerve to avoid them. You could do more damage going off the road than by hitting them.
A good set of auxillary driving lights is a worthwhile investment, because if you can see them farther away, you have more time to react.
I also lay on the horn when I see them. It gets them moving, and brings the ones you can't see to life.

John C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although............ ;) if you whack one with a wagon, you can just throw him in the back and take him home.
There :D , this is officially a wagon post.
John C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Upgrading lighting wouldn't hurt too. I would think $130 on better harness and silverstars or something might do some good too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It always amused me when a customer would come in from a deer accident and say "Don't forget to put my deer whistles back on". Apparently they call the deer to the car...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mount a Rifle Rack in the back with a toy rifle hanging in it and put a bumper sticker on the FRONT bumper "Is it Deer Season Yet ???"

Seriously though - I have a summer place up in the mountains and travel the same back roads alot during the Summer. After several years of this I've noticed that deer tend to have their own certain "highways" and travel them frequently as opposed to taking a different route - especially when crossing a road from one wooded area to another. So, Learn to know where the deer travel if you're talking about driving the same routes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have hit 5 total four of them with my Caprice the first one did $2600 in damage, the second rubbed salt off my bumper cover :eek: , third dented a fender and small scuffs and dents down the whole rest of the side, fourth was a total added it up to over $5K in damage because the airbags went, valued it around $5K bought it back for $1300, bought the wagon for a new daily driver and still had money left to fix and mod the Caprice it is not painted yet though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.