Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not wagon or even car specific, but it is about some nice tools I can use to work on the wagon with. I am hoping someone here has shipped some large items and can offer some assistance.

OK, I am in Cincinnati OH and I just struck a great deal on a Bridgeport Mill and Enco Lathe with a bunch of tooling. Only problem, they are located in Ocala, FL. I got a good enough deal on them that I could afford to spend some money shipping them, as opposed to taking off work, and rounding up a truck and trailer to pick them up. I figure the combined weight will be around 4000 lbs. Has anyone ever delt with shipping these kind of items before?

Thanks for any input.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Try uship.com. All you do is put up what you have and where you need it shipped. People who are going from place to place, will bid on shipping the items for you. If someone is comming from where your items are, near your area, they might want to make some extra cash if they don't have a full load.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your phone book. There will be all sorts of trucking companies that will do this. If you can arrange pickup and or delivery at a loading dock it will save you a few bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The key to shipping machines like that is proper packing, anyone can transport them fairly well but they must be secured properly before shipment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done this on heavy(er) car parts. Motors, trans, rearends, bulker, hoods, fenders, and stuff. Might be an idea.
(WOW, a Bridgeport, and a engine lathe! Lucky you! How big is the chuck, or, how big a dimaeter of a piece can it handle?)
I'm 'sorta along the way, east/west to the Carlisle shows.
I've had people drop off/pick up, on their way to and from the shows.
I usually 'tip' in moonshine.
Most of the time though, I have either, bought/sold/traded/whatever, with someone else, and a buddy of theirs, is the one doing the transportating.
Example. There is a friend out in Las Vegas that has a rather, rare, rear end, that I need, and, I have a motor, (bottom end) 'three on the tree' OD tranny/linkage/etc, he needs. Regular freight shipping would 'kill' both of us. He has been in contact with some of his friends that regulary go to the Carlisle shows. Problem, is most of the ones he knows, just go to look, or buy small stuff. No trailers.
Last I talked to him, there is a neighbor of his, that is thinking of hauling one of his 'vettes to the 'vette show, to sell it.
This past summer, something came up and he didn't get to go. Planning to go next year. wait and see.
There can be a program among the members (that is, if any are interisted) on this board that can be set up along the bartar system.
I know of several parts that are going to be hauled back and forth, next June/July in Tulsa.
Saves big on $$ costs.
Downside. Is time involved in getting the parts.
Anyway. Just an idea to those.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to check a few routes. I fount that there is actually a company local to me that does nothing but arrange shipments across the country. Might be a good place to start.

Yea, I am pretty excited at the opportunity to get my hands on this kind of equipment. The lathe is a 13" swing with a 30" length. One of my first project might just be the rear disk brake conversion I have been wanting to do on the wagon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spanks,

Shipping machine equipment like that is spendy. The moving alone could be in the hundreds of dollars.(Just to get the equipment loaded up). Someone experienced with a LARGE forktruck usually needs to be hired. Helped move my Dad's and associates shops more than once. It's a lot of work. Hope it all goes well, be ready to thin down the wallet a bit.

Is the Bridgeport a variable speed?

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try www.forwardair.com They've always done a good job for me and reasonable. Save $$ by going terminal to terminal, so your shipper has to palletize the item and get it to orward Air and you have to pick it up on your end. Good luck!

4501 Safari

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys.

The Bridgeport is not vari speed, which I am not happy about. But it does have an Acurite digital read out and power table feeds. For the price I am getting it for, I cannot complain.

I am starting to think it will be best for me to make the trip. I have a fork truck avaliable to me here in town but not where the tools are comming from. So I would need some sort of lift gate service. Not to mention how to get them crated up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forward Air is good - I have used them quite often for large items. Terminal to terminal. Contrary to the name, most items go by truck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how ironic- I just moved a mill and lathe with my buddy last weekend. It took us all of a day just to get them out of one garage and on a trailer and across town-then into another garage. I wouldnt trust anyone but yourself- We couldnt get the folklift we rented in the garage so we used 2x4's with pry bars to lift one side at a time and stuck metal skates under all 4 corners- Tied a chain to it and dragged it out- then fork lifted it onto a trailer. Doesnt sound like alot of work but it took all day- GOod luck-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.