Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm throwing a 70 455 in my skylark and I know that our cars run pretty hot. I'm thinking it might work for me. I would like to use an electric fan and radiator setup taht I have lying around from a caprice.

Any smart guys have any insight on this because I'm a big dummy

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I'm throwing a 70 455 in my skylark and I know that our cars run pretty hot. I'm thinking it might work for me. I would like to use an electric fan and radiator setup taht I have lying around from a caprice.

Any smart guys have any insight on this because I'm a big dummy
they are kinda small i would go with an after market.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Big blocks can get hot. I don't think a caprice radiator will do the job.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I had problems with the stock (120k miles on it) radiator and a 420 rwhp 383. BeCool radiator reduced the temperatures by approximately 25 degrees in hot weather at low speeds.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I had problems with the stock (120k miles on it) radiator and a 420 rwhp 383. BeCool radiator reduced the temperatures by approximately 25 degrees in hot weather at low speeds.
As an alternative, AFCO makes some nice al. radiators. I got one of their dbl pass al. radiators to keep my BBC cool for around $250.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I run an off the shelf traditional 4-core radiator in my 464 Buick, rockauto had it CHEAP.

They do like to run hot, so make sure you've properly shrouded the fan(s), timed it, run water-wetter and have a low T-stat in it to keep things flowing cool. If you happen to HAVE a stock rad laying around, throw it in if it fits to try it out... just keep an eye on that temp gauge. I know it wouldn't fit in my '66 chassis' rad support, a lot didn't. I ordered one of those "universal" Aluminum Radiators when I first swapped for BBB.

V8buick.com has a wealth of information for that stuff, if you're not already on there. Good group.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm on v8 buick

Im doing 350 to 455 swap.

Just weighing my options

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run an off the shelf traditional 4-core radiator in my 464 Buick, rockauto had it CHEAP.

They do like to run hot, so make sure you've properly shrouded the fan(s), timed it, run water-wetter and have a low T-stat in it to keep things flowing cool. If you happen to HAVE a stock rad laying around, throw it in if it fits to try it out... just keep an eye on that temp gauge. I know it wouldn't fit in my '66 chassis' rad support, a lot didn't. I ordered one of those "universal" Aluminum Radiators when I first swapped for BBB.

V8buick.com has a wealth of information for that stuff, if you're not already on there. Good group.

Thanks for the rock auto tip !

ordering a radiator from there

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Stage 1 heads and monster T/A cam it.. MUUAAAHAAHAA!!
Im still dreaming of the day i drop a 455 into my 68.
..sorry.. im no help... just got excited for a bit... carry on..

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Gotta love the Buick 455. Are you running the Stage 1 heads?

With any big block buick the Caprice radiator will NOT keep it cool enough. The old GS Stage 1's tended to run a little warm when new from the factory. I wouldn't even try to run a stock GM unit. Go straight for an aftermarket aluminum radiator, low temp thermostat, and the best water pump you can find.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm +0.40 overbore and running fully ported '70 Stage 1 iron heads, 11:1 compression and a non-clutch fan through a radiator that wasn't intended for it with no issues. I wouldn't worry about too much, just keep an eye on it.

In this past summer's 90* heat, the car idled in traffc at 170.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.