Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been searching and reading and searching and reading on the topic of offset cross shafts and I am more confused than when I started looking for the info!

I will be rebuilding the entire front end of my 9C1 very shortly and will be lowering it with a set of ST springs. My question is, should I get the offset cross shafts or not? All of the opinions and information seem to be conflicting in the old posts ... a lot of people say yoiu should get them in order to bring the camber back into "spec" when lowering, while others think that the offset shafts are more trouble than they are worth.

Will I need the offset shafts when I lower my car with the ST springs? What if the drop were much less than that of the ST's, such as the drop with Hotchkis/Vogtland?

Hopefully this post will assist others who will be looking for this info in the future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you are replacing your shafts anyway... I would get the off-set ones. I'm not sure where you read that they were a hastle... then install exactly like the standard shaft... they are no eaiser or harder.

The other nice thing about the offset design is that you can rotate them 180 to gain either negative or positive camber... whichever you need (even thought the shafts are stamped with "wheel side" on one side). Unlike the stock parts that will only fit on one way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I just haven't owned a car that required them, but even with my caprice on bags, laying frame I had no need for offset shafts...

With stock arms on a car that has not been in an accident (and not repaired), why are people using these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick,

I suspect most cars that have them do as a result of the shop that did the work, since I'd wager that far more suspension/steering system replacement work is done by independent shops rather than dealers, and they will be far more likely to get everything from their supplier, who probably sells Moog, Dana-Spicer, or something other than OE-sourced parts. I'm not aware of any of the aftermarket suppliers offering standard shafts, so if new shafts are installed as part of the job, they will be of the offset design in most cases.

Just my gut on this one....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick, I'm not aware of standard shafts from the OE-equivalent (ie. aftermarket) suspension parts sources.

Global West does make billet shafts in both standard and offset versions.

The production shaft is available from GM, I do believe. I don't know if your situation is such that you cannot or don't want to re-use the original shafts, but they are pretty durable, and I've processed and re-used quite a few previously-owned cross-shafts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.