Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing some minor leakage from my filler tube I've opted to replace it with just a cap. I figured the old one is probably tired so I bought a new AC Delco cap. Is it best to get it on snug (which felt tight enough to me) or go that bit more until it clicks once? The click surprised me. Not sure if the clicking is indicative of being too tight on this model. The question may sound silly but I just want to be sure.

Strange seeing it without the tube after all these years.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
It is easier to ad oil when the tube is present.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is easier to ad oil when the tube is present.

True that but I usually get it done at a local shop and they clearly take off the tube to fill it. I figured rather than mess with trying to get the right o-ring to just get a fresh cap. The click just threw me off. That said, I'll hold on to the tube for when I fill the oil up at home.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the fill tube did show some leakage on my 96.. so I used mineral spirits and let it sit a day then applied some silicone sealer around the base, but did not remove the oil fill tube.. been working for a few years now.. the other problem was the cap rubber gasket was getting hard so I had to replace that which may have caused that oil fill tube / valve cover seal to leak..

cap took IMO too much force to put in place..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fill tube did show some leakage on my 96.. so I used mineral spirits and let it sit a day then applied some silicone sealer around the base, but did not remove the oil fill tube.. been working for a few years now.. the other problem was the cap rubber gasket was getting hard so I had to replace that which may have caused that oil fill tube / valve cover seal to leak..

cap took IMO too much force to put in place..

Thanks. Yeh, the tube fits snug with what feels like an appropriate amount of pressure while the cap feels like a little too much which is what concerned me. Figured I'd get some feedback. Hopefully it's not issue. I do miss the look of the old cap though.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Keep in mind that the O-Ring will be exposed to oil vapor as well. May or May not be a problem for the HL Bulb O-ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts