Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search for the info I needed but I still have a question.

I changed my oil about 1800 miles ago, I use Mobile 1 & I do mostly highway driving. There's no way I need an oil change.

The formula it uses to determine that it's time to put the light on is based on the driving that's happened since the last time the light was reset, right? Let me rephrase that...It doesn't know (or care) that I've been changing the oil behind it's back so the light is not relevant to my oil changes, it's only relevant to my driving habits since the last light. Is my understanding of how this works correct?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Reset the light whether it is on or not when you change the oil. I change oil (Mobil 1) by mileage and just reset it if it comes on before I am ready to do so. I just use it as a reminder to notice where I am mileage-wise.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
with ignition on and engine off, press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times in pretty rapid succession and it will blink a few times and go off and it is reset.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
This is something that's been covered a million times....

The GM oil life system (OLS) uses a computer algorithm to determine when the oil has reached the end of its service life. There's no oil condition sensor or anything like that. The light has to be manually reset by pushing a button ('94) or as fbi9ci stated.

Also, the OLS on these cars is set up to assume conventional oil. If you're running full synthetic, its not even valid. Also, there have been documented cases of the OLS screwing up in our cars, and either coming on too frequently or not at all.

Given all of that, I've played with it, but I dont trust it. I keep a written maintenance log and change my oil based on mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts