Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been several years since I did this. Found a new leak that "seems" to migrate down from oil filter area but it seems to go from block (where oil cooler adapter meets block) right into bell housing then show up in bottom center (lowest point). Often oil dripping from that point is RMS but I can see it through the slot on bottom of bellhousing (stick car) and nothing on crank.

The leak is so small and oil clean, along with motor, its hard to see oil on the engine block but I do see "wet" on DS of bellhousing on edge where inspection cover meets bell housing

Anyway got the FelPro ES 70687 kit

Fortunately the hard gasket popped right out with a little pry with screw driver. I did notice some, what appeared to be engine block paint, on the sealing surface area so cleaned that all out. IDK if that was affecting seal in any way. Motor has 40k+ mi on it now

What does not come with the FelPro kit are 2 oil cooler line washer/gaskets. I separated the lies from cooler adapter so I had unobstructed view/working area of the adapter and block. They look like drain plug gaskets with the rubber on the inside hole. IIRC Dorman makes these in various sizes that may be at local part store but I just stopped by the dealership and bought 2 # 14090908 to replace the "tattered" ones I had. They may have still sealed but I didn't want to be bothered with a leak if they didn't

Hope this resolves the leak. Not 100% sure this was the source but seems like the most likely candidate. No oil along back of intake manifold or valve covers or oil pressure sender

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it took a 2nd look. Still had a leak.

It was my Pillar mount Oil pressure gage sending unit that was right above the oil filter adapter. Even wiping around that area before I did not see any oil but that is were it was coming from. Tightened it and all good now.

The leak was very small so not much of a trail to trace it other than "wet" (read barely visible) around oil filter adapter, The leak would migrate to the lowest point (bottom of tranny where it meets bell housing) and leave a small drop on floor

I hate leaks of any kind but admittingly this was self inflicted as I apparently did not tighten the sending unit enough when I installed the gauge. Got a wrench on it for a good 3/4 of a turn

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Man you lucked out! When I come across a repair requiring only a wrench it usually winds up $400 in parts rebuilding something entirely different that I've discovered while looking around under there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts