Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something stuck in my oil dipstick tube? its black
im not sure what it is?
i just got my impala and it was missing a dipstick so i went to the local chevy dealer and got one and tried to put down the tube and it would not go in and i looked and there was something stuck inside the tube?

anybody familar with this problem or know what it could be? or what i could do to fix the problem?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
If the end broke off on the old one you may be able to grab it in the center with a pair of needle nose pliers. If not, I would pull the tube itself and clean it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to try to take it out with pilers first thing tommorow...

but how would i go about taking the tube out?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
The tube is held in place by a small bolt on the side of the block. Remove it and pull out the tube. They can be a pain to remove but some good wiggling and it will slide right out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks!
ill try it out and let you know how it goes

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
jack car up on stands, disconnect battery, remove starter, now from underneath remove the small bolt holding the dip stick tube. you may need to use a screw driver and hammer to "tap" the broken tube up/out. the broken piece of dip stick should come out with it or then be sticking out the hole the tube was in.

put a small dab of RTV around new dip stick tube and push it back in, seure small bolt...put starter back on...done

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay what if cut off the piece of the tube that has the piece of tube ( or whatever it is) stuck in it.

Because it is stuck right at the top of tube. Would it be a good idea to cut the top off for a temporary fix for now?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about a telescoping magnetic tool?
Taking the tube out is going to be my last resort

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Pulling the tube is simple really. Doing mine did not require removing the starter or anything.

You may be able to use a small drill bit and drill into the plastic part of the dipstick. Then stick an easy out in the hole and lift the dipstick out. That would require a very steady hand though, lol. Also run the risk of dropping plastic shavings into the oil pan.

Do not cut the tube assembly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you remove it from underneath the car or from outside

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tube is held in place by a small bolt on the side of the block. Remove it and pull out the tube. They can be a pain to remove but some good wiggling and it will slide right out.
worked like a charm
thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.