Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have oil seeping from the base of my filler tube. Does this just unscrew from the valve cover? Or do I have to pull the valve cover to remove it?

Also, what's the seal, an o-ring?

Thanks,
-Michael

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
Just unscrew the cap, then unscrew the filler tube, then replace the cap on the valve cover with no more filler tube. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Either that or take a spare light-bulb o-ring off of a junkyard car and put it around the bottom of the fill tube. That'll get you a few thousand miles. The only real way to solve the seepage problem is a new fill tube.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I got it unscrewed, it came out no problem. I wasn't sure how difficult it should be to turn, didn't want to break anything. Saw the o-ring that was in there, replaced that and put some RTV on the threads. Will see what happens with the seepage.

Thanks again,
-Michael

·
Registered
177 Posts
Having the same issue- read the posts . . .
turning the tube seems to "catch"- dont want to break anything off in there, is there a trick to getting the tube off.

I'm presuming straight up lefty loosey, but then the tube seems to get tight and catch. My 9C1 is a mid 1995 model/LT1.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just unscrew the cap, then unscrew the filler tube, then replace the cap on the valve cover with no more filler tube. Problem solved.
That works only on the '95 and '96, not '94.

I have seen people use silicone as a temporary fix. IMO the tube is ugly and the engine looks better without it, but it's practical when you don't have a funnel handy. ;)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That works only on the '95 and '96, not '94.

I have seen people use silicone as a temporary fix. IMO the tube is ugly and the engine looks better without it, but it's practical when you don't have a funnel handy. ;)
It sure worked on my 94 and many other 94 I have seen. Maybe D body were different.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It sure worked on my 94 and many other 94 I have seen. Maybe D body were different.
Dunno...maybe you're right. I've seen it work on '95 and '96 D body, but on my '94 Fleetwood the filler cap would not fit into the valve cover without the filler neck. I got a set of '95 stock valve covers to solve that problem. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts