Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I took the opti off yesterday for a check up, and when I opened it up the optical side was full of engine oil. I'm pretty sure that it came from the vent. Any thoughts on how it could have gotten there?

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
You can compare the oil I got with yours:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1304073-rebuild-opti-new-parts-old-distributor.html

My harness performed well when tested, so as much a mystery for me where the oil came from. When I took the Spectra with the ACD parts and sensor (my 1st rebuild) out to put all the ACD parts back in my spare ACD base it did not have any oil in it. Something about new seals, and having BOTH clear gaskets installed correctly (with added grease sealer) must have done the trick. At least one guy found that his bearing was loose in the race which may have allowed oil in. The bearing in my old salvaged 110k ACD base was a little loose too, so I used a sealing type LockTite around it when putting all back together (my 2nd and hopefully final re-rebuild).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can compare the oil I got with yours:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1304073-rebuild-opti-new-parts-old-distributor.html

My harness performed well when tested, so as much a mystery for me where the oil came from. When I took the Spectra with the ACD parts and sensor (my 1st rebuild) out to put all the ACD parts back in my spare ACD base it did not have any oil in it. Something about new seals, and having BOTH clear gaskets installed correctly (with added grease sealer) much have done the trick. At least one guy found that his bearing was loose in the race which may have allowed oil in. The bearing in my old salvaged 110k ACD base was a little loose too, so I used a sealing type LockTite around it when putting all back together (my 2nd and hopefully final re-rebuild).
The oil is just like yours.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Then the fix may be too eh Other recent threads on correctly rebuilding/blueprinting one.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Just get the whole front engine gasket set. Hunt around for the brand that (might) include the 2 viton opti shaft seals - maybe FelPro? There's >1 thread on sourcing them alone.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was poking around for parts and found the parts list for the Fel pro TCS 45956

Its a gasket set that contains:

2-407 O ring (water pump shaft)
1-14842 Timing Cover Seal
2-35072 Water Pump to Block
1-95579 Timing cover
1-95644 Distribuitor Drive shaft seal (big seal for opty opening)
1-95589 Water Pump Bearing Seal (The first seal from top to bottom)

The Fel pro TCS 45956 and two 407 o rings(for the opti) seem like a good opti install kit.

Credit for the 407 partly goes to rabidmadman. He was selling them separately and I knew the kit had them listed as water pump o rings. People had been using them for the opti so I searched the internet for a parts list. The 407 number popped up. When I searched for the 407 it pops up as a jeep valve stem seal. Should be tough enough and people have been using them so they must fit.
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1308385-optispark-o-rings-10474278-discontinued-4.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts