Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I swear to God I did not do this!!!

Not a B-body specific question, but there's some knowledge on this forum. My co-worker's husband saw her "low coolant" light come on (2005 Malibu) and he added oil thinking it was the coolant. Then he told her "go ahead and drive to the bus station, it's only 4 blocks". So she did, now she's scared to death.

I don't know what to tell her other than don't drive it anymore. How worried should she be? Is her car done?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Drain, do a cooling system flush [also check for the cause of the coolant leak] and refill.

Much less of a problem then if it were the other way around [coolant in oil].

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Probably didn't hurt much. I'd drain everything out and refill with some water and cooling system flush. Drive it for a little while, dump everything again repeat as necessary until it's cleaned up. Then refill with the proper mix of coolant and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
First off, I swear to God I did not do this!!!

Not a B-body specific question, but there's some knowledge on this forum. My co-worker's husband saw her "low coolant" light come on (2005 Malibu) and he added oil thinking it was the coolant. Then he told her "go ahead and drive to the bus station, it's only 4 blocks". So she did, now she's scared to death.

I don't know what to tell her other than don't drive it anymore. How worried should she be? Is her car done?

Flush and fill cooling system.

Direct husband to remedial automotive repair 101. If that doesn't work, install electric shock anti-husband device on hood latch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts