Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching and obviously found nothing in the last month, I'm looking to install my VDO Oil Pressure sender and heard there was an outlet on the oil filter adapter, What bit do I need to remove this plug and who has done this?

·
Registered
932 Posts
there is a port directly above the oil filter adapter on the block.

3/8" drive if I recall. tapped for sender.

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
the oil filter adapter uses a square 5/16" head socket. I do not recommend installing a pressure sender there, unless it's a small compact unit. The one the autometer I had, the sender was huge. If I had put it there, headers would have burnt it up. Use the above filter port, or "T" off the stock sender.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buff, are you saying instead of using the upper most port on the block above filter to use the 1/4 NPT port shown in the picture?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I moved my stock sender there and put my autometer sender in the port right aft of the intake.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay well it seems as though my sender will not fit in the port shown with headers. Who knows if the 5/16 square plug port is good on the oil filter adapter? My sender is 1/8NPT and I'm going to get a 1/4 NPT adapter and probably a 90 degree elbow to place it away from header heat.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is a good idea-I have Tri-Ys so I am not sure what the budget headers look like as far as clearance and stuff. I have the adapter to the 1/npt where I put the factory sender. I used one of the oil sender parts(90 degree things) to the sender up ontop the block.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well to use the pictured port I would have remove my budgets, and install a bunch of adapters to allow a sender to fit, so is the port in the adapter going to work or am I going to have to "T" off at the back of the intake?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Probly to make it easier and not remove the headers just do a T off just one of the stock 90 pieces. I'd put the stock on the drivers side and other on the pass since you don't have that much slack on the harness wire.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went a picked up some parts from the Hardware store, still not sure if this is going to work but where the 5/16 square headed plug in the adapter the opening is 3/8 NPT so I Picked up a 3/8 90 Degree elbow and then a 3/8 - 1/8 adapter and then have the sender screwed into that, now my question is how tight do I need that thing because to have it fully tightened the elbow is pointing up and then puts the sender into the headers again, I loosened it to the nearest workable postion but is movable with a hard hand twist, is that too loose? I mean an oil filter is hand tight.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
NPT threads do not seal by engagement, this is why you need to use Teflon tape to seal the threads. (leave the first 2 threads going in exposed, or they will shear off.).

"tight" is where the threads have no more room to screw in, which is different from "sealed"

I'd try a washer to space the fitting out, and get in in the orientation you want.

Also hardware store fittings have really poor tolerances.
http://products.sspfittings.com/BrandHome.aspx?Brand=42

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leaving the first two threads should also allow for it to ground correct? or should I use loctite, also I may go buy a 3/8 nut to limit the distance with a few washers also.

but for sure I'm going to get a pressure reading from the port that was plugged with the square bit plug?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leaving the first two threads should also allow for it to ground correct? or should I use loctite, also I may go buy a 3/8 nut to limit the distance with a few washers also.

but for sure I'm going to get a pressure reading from the port that was plugged with the square bit plug?

·
Registered
11,013 Posts

Yes. I don't know why you think you won't. Start the car up. If oil comes spraying out of the hole is that proof enough for you?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Because I don't feel like doing all this and not having it work and having to change it and loose brand new oil, tomorrow I'll tackle this dumb thing.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See your missing what I'm saying, I can't use the port on the block headers are in the way. How about the plug in the oil Filter adapter?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.