Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I have a 9c1/taxi why does it have the idiot gauge, I have used two OP units that said gauge instead of the one that’s says light, but only the one that say light seems to work, so I was told that OP unit is connected to the fuel pump relay, can anyone shed some info on this

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Old poeple got worried about how low the oil pressure could allowably go at idle when warm and still be GM acceptable so rather than deal with all the complaints about the needle moving back and forth in big swings, GM made the idiot gage and just made the needle stay in one spot regardless of pressure.

Complete instructions on how to un-idiot you gage by removing the resistor from within your current wire harness and installing a truck series oil pressure sender can be pretty quickly found using the search box.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For educational purposes …

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you sure the rest of the car is a 9C1 and just not the trunk lid? :)

Does the speedo cluster have white "Certified" letters printed on it? There is a whole slew of different things we can look for to determine if it's really a 9C1, if you want to start there.

These cars are 25 years old. So who knows what the previous owners did to it over the years. Rather than speculate, what happens to the gauge when you use each sensor? Please describe in more detail.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Are you sure the rest of the car is a 9C1 and just not the trunk lid? :)
I initially had a similar question when first reading, - wondering if any JY B4U cluster would be easy to swap into a 3XX,XXX mile service vehicle to get a 'mileage unverified' CarFax but also much lower odo reading. In any case figuring maybe the cluster and car weren't originally assembled together. Also will be very interested to hear about each sensor's effect on gauge.

Just to confuse things more, wasn't there some popular mod of using an 'F-body 3-wire' ETC Sensor for some reason?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@storm9c1 sorry for the late response, we’ll I got the oil pressure to stay up using the OP sensor that say light instead of the one that say gauge, car was running fine until starter went out, I put a brand new starter and now it doesn’t want to start, had to get it towed home @2am CA time smh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts