Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about types and weights of oil other members use in thier "tired" engines. I would have posted this in the engine section but I am looking for advice from the wagon owners due to the fact our cars have a little more weight to pull around.
First a little history on my engine, I bought my wagon with every gasket and seal leaking and a thick layer of gunk on everything. In order to ship my car to Germany there can be no leaks, so before I shipped my car I pulled the engine and transmission and replaced all the seals and gaskets (I left the heads on). While I had the engine out I replaced the timing chain and gears, the oil pump, and various sensorst that looked bad. That was around 10k miles ago and so far there are still no leaks. The engine now has 167k on it. I run Mobil-1 15-50 in the summer and 10-40 in the winter, I change the filter every 3k and the oil 6-9k
Now the questions. What weights of oil do you guys run in you higher mileage motors? What kind of oil pressure do you see idling, crusing(1500-2500 rpm), and under heavy load (passing-3000rpm and higher)? Do you guys prefer synthetic or non-synthetic oils? The reason I ask is my oil pressure reads around 45 psi cold, 35 warm and almost 60 under heavy load. That seems high for the milage on the motor regardless of the new oil pump. I replaced the sending unit and the gauge still reads the same. Any thoughts on this from other wagon owners (TBI or LT-1) would be great thanks Ray.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
95 lt1. I see very similar numbers. Stock oil pump, nothing changed. I'm running 5-30 in valvoline high milage, to help the leaks a little. I would say what your doing is good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's normal. You have to worry about the pressure when it gets too LOW. The pressures you are seeing indicate to me that your bearings are not worn out and you have nothing to worry about right now. Keep up the good work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.