Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LO5 has pushed the oil filter gasket out, and spued oil on the ground with 3 different filters. Any ideas?

The only thing I can come up with is the relief valve in the pump is stuck. The OP gauge is pegged, until it lets go. The last time it sprayed oil about 6-8 feet out from under the car on the driver's side.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Have you pulled the adapter off and taken a look? 2 bolts, 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not see where the adapter has anything to cause increased pressure before the filter. The engine gets oil, because it does not make any valve racket. The only problem is the high pressure, and the blown out gasket.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I was under the impression that the bypass valve was actually in the adapter plate, not the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Are these Fram filters? I remember something a while back about the check valve in Frams sticking and causing blowouts from over-pressure. Fram is a crappy filter anyway from media and end panel perspective so I can believe it.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the impression that the bypass valve was actually in the adapter plate, not the filter.
The pressure bypass is in the oil pump. It consists of a sleeve, spring, plug, and retaining pin. The oil pressure pushes the sleeve against the spring until it uncovers a hole in the body of the pump, and excess pressure is relieved through the hole.

I believe, if a bypass is in the adapter is there in case the filter clogs and then it dumps the oil into the gallery without going through the filter. That bypass valve may be part of the filter itself.

I used 2 STPs and one Fram and it did it with both brands. I know they are not the best filters, but I can not imagine that they would all be faulty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts