Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, this car is amazing.... if it would stop chucking belts.... but that's another story.

We observed temps of 230-250 F with 30W oil (no oil cooler) at cruising speeds.

Temps of 270-300 F with 30W oil (no oil cooler) in stop and go traffic, 91 F ambient air temp.

Are any of these temps too high?

I'll throw this out too.... tranny runs 180-220 cruising - stop&go.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Destroyer, Jr.:
OMG, this car is amazing.... if it would stop chucking belts.... but that's another story.

Temps of 270-300 F with 30W oil (no oil cooler) in stop and go traffic, 91 F ambient air temp.

Thanks.
The oil temps are too high...especially if you're not running synthetic oil. You want the oil hot...but not that hot, not for prolonged periods anyway. I had the same issue...damn near the same temps as well, and I went with the 9C1 oil cooler...end of problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by 4dr LT4:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Destroyer, Jr.:

Thanks.
The oil temps are too high...especially if you're not running synthetic oil. You want the oil hot...but not that hot, not for prolonged periods anyway. I had the same issue...damn near the same temps as well, and I went with the 9C1 oil cooler...end of problems. </font>[/QUOTE]I figured they were a bit high... but I can't fit my 9c1 cooler anymore.... Quad-1's hit the adaptor and leave little clearance for the good big oil filters....

Any other solution ideas.... coolant runs at 180-195 F constantly and unwaveringly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Grotyohann long tube headers, which are very much like the quads. It's a tight fit, but it will work. Why not run a remote oil filter? You can go REAL big on the filter, and leave room for the oil cooler.

You really need to address the oil temps quickly, as your oil....then your bearings, won't live very long under those conditions.

You didn't mention what brand oil you're using. I would run a good 10w-40...or perhaps even a 20w-50 until you have those temps under control.

As quite a few people on this board run Mobil 1, I'll tell you that it acts more like a 20w at operating temps...very thin oil. While it's fine under normal circumstances, your situation might call for something that holds up a little better.

Oils that maintain their viscosity VERY well, include Redline, German Castrol, Amsoil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor is still breaking in so I am using Shell Rotella 30W currently. I will switch to amsoil or mobil 1 after I'm done using the dinosaur oil.

What would optimal temperatures be for the oil to run at?

Any suggestion on the oil filter relocation kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave...

I like the oil temps to be from 210-220F. Consensus seems to think that's where you'll make the most power. I also don't like to get on it until temps reach 160-180F.

I think Summit sells a nice remote kit. Check www.summitracing.com
Part# SUM-G4985

I think you'll find what you need there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave...

I like the oil temps to be from 210-220F. Consensus seems to think that's where you'll make the most power. I also don't like to get on it until temps reach 160-180F.

I think Summit sells a nice remote kit. Check www.summitracing.com
Part# SUM-G4985

I think you'll find what you need there.
And that kit will tuck in between the headers?

So 230-250 is on the higher side of okay, but would probably be cured by synthetic?

the 270-300 is too high? Like danger, "goodbye main bearings" high?

I just am trying to gauge with what urgency to address this.

I still have the stock 9c1 oil cooler... would you reuse that, or purchase a new one? What size for a 700 HP motor?

Thanks Bob for all the help! Don't feel like torching the new mill and oil temp is new to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same issue...damn near the same temps as well, and I went with the 9C1 oil cooler...end of problems.
I'm just curious, how much did you see the oil temps drop when you added the 9C1 oil cooler? I honestly have no idea how efficient the cooler is, and since my car is equipped with it from the factory I'd love to know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,I have the chucking belts problem too. My mounting bracket is flexing under the high boost.

I just spun the crankshaft hub and am going with the one with the keyway cut in there.

I run 210 in stop and go traffic ,cruising speed 205-210 ,really the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Mike454SS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 4dr LT4:
I had the same issue...damn near the same temps as well, and I went with the 9C1 oil cooler...end of problems.
I'm just curious, how much did you see the oil temps drop when you added the 9C1 oil cooler? I honestly have no idea how efficient the cooler is, and since my car is equipped with it from the factory I'd love to know. </font>[/QUOTE]I'd like to know too.... I am considering reusing the 9c1 cooler... but will buy a different one depending on the efficiency.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Roktman:
Dave,I have the chucking belts problem too. My mounting bracket is flexing under the high boost.

I just spun the crankshaft hub and am going with the one with the keyway cut in there.

I run 210 in stop and go traffic ,cruising speed 205-210 ,really the same.
Mounting bracket flex sucks! Mine wobbles all sorts of crazy under high load.

Way to spin the crank hub! I got a keyed one from thunder racing. Pretty nice and I have no fear of having a problem with it under high load. Although, if I can spin a keyed hub, I'm probably doing something awesome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ThankSS Dave....I think. :D I am getting the keyed hub and putting in the Barry Grant system.No running out of fuel for me.

Try the bolts on the bracket/water pump like CM said.I `ll see if it makes a difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With cooler I am now running in the 230's in stop and go traffic, without blower running, with 30W Rotella.

Do you think synthetic (after breakin) will allow for a cooler motor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would certainly help but not 20 degrees IMHO.I am running synthetic in mine since I have 5K+ on it now.

Are you running a water wetter product in the radiator? I know your water temp is OK but that helps the coolant by a good 15 degrees in my estimation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.