Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy Caprice Classic 1996, 5.7 liter
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
Ok, so I got my turn switch in...now what? Well, I’ll tell ya what, I’m gonna attempt to put this bad boy in so MuleDawg can get back on the road. My question is this... on a scale of 1 to 43, what is the level of difficulty I’m facing when the sun ☀ comes up?
Thank you all for all your support & guidance.... we shall see!!!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
If you have the right tools (steering wheel puller and lock plate depressor), it's about a 10 on your 1-43 scale.

If you don't have the right tools, it's about a 35 - not impossible, but it'll make you think it is :).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that!! I’m getting the right puller tools 🛠 as well as the plate pusher...thanks and standby for updates!!!

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You could plug it in at the base of the column to test before changing it to see if this is even your problem

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
You're also going to need a pair of snap ring pliers (to remove the snap ring that secures the clock spring) and a set of metal picks (to remove the retaining ring that secures the lock plate).

·
Registered
339 Posts
You could plug it in at the base of the column to test before changing it to see if this is even your problem
Definitely do this--no point in going through the replacement exercise if it's not the problem.

Look for Youtube videos on replacing a turn signal switch or disassembling the whole steering column to replace the steering sphere. I don't have the links on this PC, but there are some very good videos.

There are lots of little pieces in the column. The right tools as mentioned by others make it much easier. The thing is, if you're going to remove enough to do the turn signal switch,then you start to think about other things, like the sphere, upper bearing, maybe a new ignition switch...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone between getting outta the hospital 🏥 & the white stuff all over MuleDawg 🤦🏾‍♂️.... it’s gonna be a minute before I get to test this switch. I’m gonna hook it up prior to tearing the unit apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts