Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my Dad's waterpump on his 96 Roadmaster and I am stuck on removing the pump itself. I cannot get it removed from the block. I removed the AIR pump, 3 bolts on passenger side, 2 bolts and nut on driver side, and 1 big bolt on the bracket that holds the AIR. The bracket is nopt budging and neither is the pump. Am I missing anything?

· Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Yup, but you're not dumb. There are 3 bolts on each side of the water pump that go all the way into the engine block: 2 long and 1 short on each side. (the short one on the driver's side is a little longer and helps hold the air pump bracket on) The air pump bracket is also bolted to the block, with a bolt being behind the spark plug wires on the driver's side at the bottom. When re-installing the air pump, be sure not to pinch the plug wires with it. It happens all the time.

· Registered
936 Posts
water pump

sorry im on ur post but when u remove pump do you have to replace the coupler or can you use the same,my reason is my pump is leaking have 1 in hand to change but havent cause im waiting on the new coupler to arrive lmk thanks in advance

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok here is another question. I'm replacing the opti, plugs, and wires while doing the pump. Here is my problem. I cannot get the #2 plug out for anything! I can barely get the socket on but then to turn it is nearly impossible! Is there an easier way to access this plug because it is the last one for me to do. I have done plugs and wires on my 94 T/A and they do not seem this hard.

· Premium Member
1,870 Posts
sorry im on ur post but when u remove pump do you have to replace the coupler or can you use the same,my reason is my pump is leaking have 1 in hand to change but havent cause im waiting on the new coupler to arrive lmk thanks in advance

Yes, you can use the same splined coupler and do not need a new one. :)

· Registered
75 Posts
"Ok here is another question. I'm replacing the opti, plugs, and wires while doing the pump. Here is my problem. I cannot get the #2 plug out for anything! I can barely get the socket on but then to turn it is nearly impossible! Is there an easier way to access this plug because it is the last one for me to do. I have done plugs and wires on my 94 T/A and they do not seem this hard."

Yes you can go in threw the wheel wells.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
+1 on the spark plug socket. I did that and used a ratchet with either a 3/4" deep or regular socket (forget which) that got the ratchet in the perfect spot to get some leverage.

· Premium Member
6,950 Posts
Yea I have been using a spark plug socket with a ratcheting wrench. I'm gonna go start now and I will try the socket over the plug socket with as ratchet.
its a bitch but you can wiggle your arm down in there and do it(i have big hands and big arms and i still can fit my arms in there with enough room to get all 8 out, the only one i have trouble with is #7.)

you can also do an extention and from from under the car....just dont hit the started like i did :)

or power off the bat

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok for future reference if anyone needs help here is how I got the #2 plug.

I went in through the fender well with a 3/4" socket on the spark plug socket and that is how I got #2 out. The rest were very easy except that #2. I imagine if the AIR and stuff was gone it would be tons easier!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.