Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut one coil from my front front Caprice springs, and my car now rests on my ZQ8 stops.

Is this normal? Even my wife thinks that it still rides nice.

Is it OK? I'm planning on getting it aligned next week.

Thanks for the input - JM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are some people running them that way. When I sit in the car, mine just kiss the stops. Don't think it will hurt anything. Get an alignment though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exellent! I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't tell that it couldn't be aligned until I got it off the bump stops. - JM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They might say that. Tell them that they are next-generation "foamy" polyurethane jounce bumpers and that they are supposed to touch as they act as helper springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, the car is supposed to ride on them... Just look at any of the newer trucks, they all ride right on the jouncies... These ZQ8's are from an S-10/Truck, so if you think about it, we are using them the proper way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason he needs an alignment is because he lowered the car, not because of the stops. The camber curve on these cars is such that a 1" drop will throw the camber off by a full degree or more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My SS rests on the S-10 bumpstops since I lowered it 1.5" all around. I even shaved a little off the top of the bumpstops (.5") because they were actually being compressed upon contact with the upper control arms. And they raised the car back up about .5" higher. Shaving a little off put the front end lower and reduced compression. No they're just touching the upper control arms and add a nice feel to the ride, especially over the big hits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put my zq8 bumpstops in the other day, and the car just barely rests on them with me in the car, and without there's about .5-1" space between the stop and the frame.

I'm sure after I have it lowered the car will rest on them. Either way, I like how the front of the car feels now with them..

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My experience with alignment shops is that anythime you modify a suspension to change the ride height, especially lowering, you'll catch lip about how the suspension is no longer functioning the way it was intended by factory engineers. I was told that my alignment was brought into factory specs, but wouldn't be warrantied because it was bottoming out. When I pressed the issue, asking that they demonstrate this bottoming, they recanted and said that it could bottom out and force the car out of alignment since the car was lowered. Long story short, expect something negative to be said, but don't let it phase you as long as the car does align properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mister Peebody:
My experience with alignment shops is that anythime you modify a suspension to change the ride height, especially lowering, you'll catch lip about how the suspension is no longer functioning the way it was intended by factory engineers.
Actually, I'm quite sure that the chassis engineers responsible for designing the B-body front suspension nearly 30 years ago never intended it to sit at the height of a stock Impala SS, much less any lower. That's one reason why these cars suffer from such bad bump-steer problems, insufficient travel, and a lack of camber gain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just installed my ZQ8's lst night and had to cut them down to the first line. Now they just barely touch but are not compressed. I have the eibach lowering springs with bilstein sport shocks and the ride is excellent. GW lca and ho/ho bars are next. Love a great handling car on the road....Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.