Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... So how the hell do I make the new (old) hubcaps stay on?? I'm really getting tired of pulling over after every few on/off ramps to go hiking in the swampy goo to try and find them... :D

They are 1951 Buick Roadmaster Stainless hupcaps. No "pressure" ring like the new caps. Just bent metal with teeth that grip (or teeth that used to grip). Is there some sort of adhesive that I could use at like 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock that would secure them?

Any tips? Tricks? :confused:

TIA!

EDIT: Added pic of caps...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After loosing two caps from my 91 alloy wheels, I decided to put windows removable silicone, the one to use when sealing interior windows for winter.

only used it in the wheel, not on the cap. Used some tape 24h to make sure the cap glue there fully centered in the wheel.

It worked like a charm. Im still able to pop it out with a flat screwdriver, then clean the old silicone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bend the tabs out more, particularly the "teeth" on the tabs. Far enough that you have to really force them on. You can also file the teeth so that they are sharper and dig in better. My 55 Plymouth's caps still scratch the paint on the way off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The caps on the 56 Olds I had were tight!! I could barely pound the caps on!

How do they fit now? Loose?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was planning to "bend the teeth" but I haven't had time to do it. The car has been sitting and is just my back-up/winter car and I'm driving it while the Impala is up on stands. First on-ramp "reminded" me of the issue. ;)

They fit pretty snugly and need a good whack at each "corner" to get them on. But one (RF) loosens up so there's a 1/4" gap all the way around it and the rim even after a short trip around the block.

I'll try bending the tabs out before applying any "goo." I was looking for a Plan B before I tried Plan A, I guess...

Thanks guys! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.