Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 95 Impala with 210K on the original cats. I've replaced the catback a couple of times, but never had a problem with the converters. Since new tri-y's and matching cats can't seem to make it to the top of my budget, I haven't changed them.

But, it's looking like my LS cat is clogged, so I have to replace it.

I'm thinking I should just go ahead and put both on now to keep things "balanced."

Yes? No? Waste of money?

Discuss.

**edit** Or, I guess I could "hollow" out the offending cat, but that wouldn't be right, would it?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Hollowing out one or both cats will sound and smell like crap (IMHO).

If it were me.....I'd change both cats.....but I'm just funny like that :) .

KW

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember WAAAAY back in the days of G-Man and others in HOTSS, there were a few members who "modified" their catalytic converters with a long screwdriver and a bigass hammer. I'm thinking that there's no way to pass emissions testing without the "innerds," but I could be wrong.

I also lean toward replacing both, just because.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Don't waste some good platinum by throwing it away...replace both with and aftermarket if needed. Be sure to sell me your originals. :) I buy catalytic converters.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, how much is a clogged OEM converter going for on the scrap market?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I would buy both new,just think about when you have cold and can only breathe thru one nostril SUX! Well your engine feels the same way :D lol...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Since cats are SUPPOSED to function for a lifetime (except when the physically are broke), I would assume you can change 1 and be done if you are that broke (temporary state) or poor (more permanent).

Hollowing them out is disgusting, unless you hate everyone who drives behind you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts