Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 96' SS and was contemplating putting extended LCA's on it. Started looking at the rear end and could visually notice that the passenger side rear tire was further back in the wheel well than the driver's side. I saw in another post that Ghetto stated there was an old TSB on the axle having to elongate some bolt holes. I bought the car with 25,000 miles and it had aftermarket LCA's (Metco I believe). Is it possible they didn't install them correctly or do I have another problem or is it not a problem at all?

·
Vendor
141 Posts
Hello
I just wanted to suggest to you that UMI Performance offers a extended upper and lower control arms. They will allow you to recenter the rear back to the correct position. We offer it in a street version (poly bushing) and we offer it in a race (rod end) Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_76_168&zenid=6vqq81gngqhm8s3fqs1ldidi91

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_76_169&zenid=6vqq81gngqhm8s3fqs1ldidi91

Thanks
Brad :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It could be simply that the body was not mounted squarely to the frame. It's a common occurrence that doesn't do any harm other then cosmetics. Check the position of each rear tire to the frame to see if it's actually further back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
SSteveSS,

Yea on my 96 SS I think its my drivers side rear wheel that seems to sit a bit further back then the rear passenger side wheel and I think its just a strange factory anomaly on some B-bodies, I also have the UMI standard length lower rear CAs and they sit in the same position with the drivers side slightly cocked back...and props to UMI on your wonderful suspension parts btw!!! Definite handling improvements after adding those CAs and Spohn anti-sway bars all around!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSteveSS,

Yea on my 96 SS I think its my drivers side rear wheel that seems to sit a bit further back then the rear passenger side wheel and I think its just a strange factory anomaly on some B-bodies, I also have the UMI standard length lower rear CAs and they sit in the same position with the drivers side slightly cocked back...and props to UMI on your wonderful suspension parts btw!!! Definite handling improvements after adding those CAs and Spohn anti-sway bars all around!!!
I started looking at my car a little closer and it seems that the the drivers' side front and rear tires are furter back in the wheel wells than the passenger side is by at least an inch or so. What are the chances of getting this squared up w/o throwing something else out of whack?

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
It's not off, side to side? Meaning one side the tire is sticking out of the wheel well, the other is tucked inside.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
GM Service Bulletin No. 53-34-03

GM Service Bulletin No. 53-34-03

Subject: Rear Wheel/Tire Position in Wheel Well Openings

Models: 1994-95 Chevrolet Caprice/Impala SS

Condition-

Some customers may comment that one rear wheel may appear more
forward in wheel well opening than wheel in opposite side of
vehicle or that vehicle appears to dog track when viewed fro the
rear when in operation.

Cause-

Rear lower control arm frame bracket holes pierced off location
during frame manufacturing.

Correction-

Elongate holes in rear axle control

·
Registered
417 Posts
^^^^^^^^^There we go, I thought there was somethin out there about that! Although strange that it doesn't mention 1996's as mine is and I def have that symptom to some extent...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not off, side to side? Meaning one side the tire is sticking out of the wheel well, the other is tucked inside.
My car is a 96 as well. The vertical alignment within the wheel well doesn't look bad but the front and rear tires on the drivers side definitely look further to the rear of the wheel well when looking from the side of the car than on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It could be a few things. Firstly, like Lance mentioned a manufacturing 'defect'.

Also likely that the body isn't centered on the frame or a panel is out of alignment, this is very common.

Could be a bent LCA/UCA.

Could be simply that the trim on that wheel well isn't pushed all the way on. I have seen this happen and it makes it look like there is more clearance on one side.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hmm interesting that both wheels are set towards rear of the car then on passenger side...maybe for you it is the body itself as with mine its soley the rear drivers side wheel thats set further back in the wheel well and considering I changed all my body bushings with a poly set and have aftermarket new rear control arms...i think mine is that "defect" deal with the rear end but i can live with it...for now...haha!

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Tsb

Here's the documents:

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is this something that can be fixed with adjustable rear arms? I have the same problem, the drivers side is further back a 1/4" than the passenger side. When I installed my Currie rear arms, all my measurements are correct and the arms are the same length. I need to correct this so I can take the correct measurements for a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a 96' SS and was contemplating putting extended LCA's on it. Started looking at the rear end and could visually notice that the passenger side rear tire was further back in the wheel well than the driver's side. I saw in another post that Ghetto stated there was an old TSB on the axle having to elongate some bolt holes. I bought the car with 25,000 miles and it had aftermarket LCA's (Metco I believe). Is it possible they didn't install them correctly or do I have another problem or is it not a problem at all?
Did you ever get this situation handle if so what did you do to fix it

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is a 96 as well. The vertical alignment within the wheel well doesn't look bad but the front and rear tires on the drivers side definitely look further to the rear of the wheel well when looking from the side of the car than on the passenger side.
I’m dealing with the same exact thing did you fix this situation and how

1 - 17 of 17 Posts