Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think that only one of my fans are working. cause my 96 inpala ss gets really hot even when i am just sitting at an idle. can someone give some advice. i am soooooo ready to get rid of cherry. i just replaced the whole a/c system. and the last mont i just got the distributer and optisparks done.cwm3

·
Registered
346 Posts
distributor and optispark?

but to tell you the truth, I have spent thousands on maintenance. it is a used car and could have not be maintened well before you bought it. my car is in the shop as we speak. I believe you can test yours fans by removing connector at waterpump. I may be wrong its been a whike, a search will bring up the correct method.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Do as byb says, pull the CTS sensor plug and both fans should come on w/ check engine light.

If you haven't put a 160 thermostat in and had the pcm reprogrammed for it, the car will get up to the 3/4 mark on the temp gage sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
With the car on pop the hood and disconnect the sensor if front of the water pump this is just to see if they both turn on.Give it about a minute,if one of the fan still is not turning on check your relays at fuse box under hood,swap them around see if the other turns on. It could be just a bad relay,if that does not work disconnect the fan harness next to passanger side fan check for burnt pins..

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Make sure when you unplug the ECT sensor that you put your hand in front of the fans and make sure they're moving a good amount of air. They tend to die a slow death, it may still spin, but not hard enough to move the required amount of air.

Also, make sure your cooling system is holding pressure. A pinhole leak somewhere or bad coolant cap will cause you to overheat.

Fan turn on temps are set high from the factory, 225F primary and 232F secondary. Even with a 180F thermostat, you could have it reprogrammed lower. Putting in a lower temp T-stat without reprogramming is just a waste of time and money.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so i swaped the relays around and the drivers side fan is still the only one coming on. I took the harness next to the p/s fan loose and the pins looked a lil corroded so i tried to clean them as best as i could and I still have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the problem is fixed

OK so I went to the parts store and bought a fan motor and replaced it. As soon as I started the car the new fan motor kicked on. I unplugged the harness from the water pump and both fans are working. Thanks for everybody's help I appreciate it dearly. now the next problem, while i was driving a bad storm came through so i turned my wipers on. Well how about the damn passenger wiper went crazy on me, so all i had was a d/s wiper working. it was so embarrassing. cwm3

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Mine was $48 at AZ. Took about an hour taking my sweet time about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.