Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I ordered a 95 optispark (ebay item # 400085816358) for my 94 wagon. I am taking the timing cover off as well due to a good oil leak. I was also planning on changing the timing chain if it was loose. The part comes in later next week (FL - CA).

Will i have to send it back, or can I make it work w/a couple parts?

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
No your '94 cover will not fit a 95 opti, the front covers are different.
I'm not sure but I think the camshaft interface is different as well between '94 and 95-96 optis- can't just change the timing cover.

Edit:
My apologies to all for the error. When I make a mistake I’ll admit it- that’s all part of improving. I did not intent to mislead anyone or put out “bad” information. Looks like the 94 LT1 shortblock on my engine stand must be from an F or Y body not a B-body ( the timing cover is VERY different from my ’95 and ’96 B-body engines). The forums are a great place to learn- calling someone stupid for a simple mistake doesn’t help anyone but it does reveal how small and petty a person you are..

Sorry:(

·
Registered
731 Posts
All 94-96 B-bodies use the opti II. The opti I was only on pre-95 F and Y cars. Yes, your timing cover will work. Theres only one difference in the timing covers that came on B's, and thats between obd1 and obd2. Obd2 has a crank sensor in the bottom, but it still takes the opti II.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
ALL the b-bodies got the same opti and it was the "95+" one. The catalogue companies screw up the listings because the Vette and f-body got the early design still in 94 but the b-body got the upgraded vented one.

I would probably not even bother looking at the timing chain unless the cover absolutely has to come off for something else, which also involves dropping the pan. The seal in the cover can be replaced without removing it.

Oh and in the b-bodies 94 and 95 covers are the same.
Just think about all this when you read the forums, MORE bad info posted than good.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so glad it will work. Thanx for taking the time to help guys. I am definitely in an LT1 crash course here. I was looking for gaskets on ebay and found 94 & earlier vs 95 and later gaskets.

So, I need to get front cover gaskets for a 95+ LT1? I think I will need to remove the water pump to fix the front seal leak, is this true? If so do I get a 95+ gaskets for the water pump or they all the same?

I gave a quality leak dripping right off of the bottom of the front cover area. I don't know if it is the seal or the cover gasket. I may not see until I take stuff apart. But I want to have any needed parts in my garage, and return what I don't use.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If in doubt, get 95+ labeled stuff as far as the opti and seals are concerned. They will work on any 94-96 B body. The WP has to come off so you can put the seal in the timing cover for the WP drive. Its tricky, you will either need to shave the pocket clip off a sharpie lid, or get an installation tool from Buffman, as the WP seal MUST have the lips turned inward. Do not attempt to install the seal without the timing cover installed on the engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If in doubt, get 95+ labeled stuff as far as the opti and seals are concerned. They will work on any 94-96 B body. The WP has to come off so you can put the seal in the timing cover for the WP drive. Its tricky, you will either need to shave the pocket clip off a sharpie lid, or get an installation tool from Buffman, as the WP seal MUST have the lips turned inward. Do not attempt to install the seal without the timing cover installed on the engine.

Wow. "Seal in the water pump drive," that is a new one for me. Great info, thanx. I do have some Sharpies here. I am hoping it ends up just being the seal around the crank snout.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Best not to hope or keep fingers crossed , just plan on replacing the opti seal and water pump seal.

If they are not leaking now, they probably will after you do all the work

Felpro # TCS45956 will get you everything you need.
The water pump seal lips are black in, tan out, not both in.

Also ,no matter you tells you to , or they got away with it, NO oil on the WP or Opti seal.
They are Teflon and are designed to be dry on start up.
This is to transfer material to the shaft resulting in the Teflon to Teflon surface.

They are to be installed on a DRY, CLEANED, NO-OIL RESIDUE shaft surface. They are designed to transfer a film of Teflon to the dry, clean shaft after initial startup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts