Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I cut off all the exhaust and drove with open tri-y headers, what exactly would happen if i drove it like that?

What are the specific pros and cons of open headers?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Pro: reduction of exhaust restriction will improve performance. Con: due to the significant increase in noise they're typically for track use only. Don't even think about it for street use. If you do, your local law enforcement officers will definitely want to have a word with you.

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pro: reduction of exhaust restriction will improve performance. Con: due to the significant increase in noise they're typically for track use only. Don't even think about it for street use. If you do, your local law enforcement officers will definitely want to have a word with you.
Lol understood

Thanks

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
No exhaust is not fun; and its not funny.
I had always heard you would lose torque without some backpressure, but that seems to be false.
Just TriY headers alone may provide the scavenging necessary to gain a minute amount of horsepower while you are making the neighbors hate you. LOL

·
Premium Member
20,341 Posts
I'll just address the cons:

1. Due to no cats, you'll be illegal under federal law.
2. Due to no exhaust you'll be loud as f^ck.
3. Due to no exhaust you'll be WAY out of noise compliance as codified by every state in the union.
4. Due to no exhaust, you will need/want hearing protection when driving the car on the road....or over a road racing course.
5. If your car is a '96, you'll need to tune out the secondary (rear) O2 sensors

Best of luck.

KW

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Does carbon monoxide poisoning ring a bell?
Sorry, I was sleeping 😴🛌💤🛏😪
Wow have I got a head ache.

OP , try googling something like " collector length"

As above, its not lack of back pressure.
Engine masters did a pretty good dyno comparo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts