Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some occasional issues related to ignition some time back. I was able to track down the occasional misfires/stumbles to a dodgy connection in the wiring harness leading to the optispark.

The fault is not in the actual opti harness (the short one that plugs into the optispark) but rather the main wiring harness connector where it plugs into the opti harness.

My question is, does anyone know where to purchase a (new) replacement connector that I can install?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
It's nice to have a Metri-Pac repair kit,and become familiar with it's use. The more obscure "pull-to-seat" terminals used in many sensor pigtails can be sourced as needed from ebay,delcity,watek,etc...

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I noticed some occasional issues related to ignition some time back. I was able to track down the occasional misfires/stumbles to a dodgy connection in the wiring harness leading to the optispark.

The fault is not in the actual opti harness (the short one that plugs into the optispark) but rather the main wiring harness connector where it plugs into the opti harness.

My question is, does anyone know where to purchase a (new) replacement connector that I can install?
If I'm reading this correctly, you DO NOT need the Opti Harness that runs from the Opti up to the Harness about half way back the Passenger Side of the intake manifold. As Mentioned, the Opti Harness is available thru Gary for about $50.

But as you said, you thing you have a problem with the Connector where the Opti Harness plugs in near the Evap Purge Solenoid. Couple of suggestions there.....

Before cutting into the Factory Harness....are you 100% sure it is the Connector(s) and not just a broken wire within the Harness? Cause it is possible 1 or more of the wires in the harness have a internal breakage of the wire. If thats the case, you need to find the break and splice in a new Pigtal just before the break or repair the wire.

Another thought, it could just be that the Pin(s) of the Harness have opened up a little bit and not making a solid connection to the other side of the connector. It is possiple to take the terminal apart, tighten up the female connection so it makes a solid connection to the other side and worst case, if the Pin on the individual wire(s) is loose or dirty, you could cut it off and recrimp a new terminal to the end. I would try this first before splicing in or cutting the factory harness. I try to avoid cutting into the factory harness where ever possible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm reading this correctly, you DO NOT need the Opti Harness that runs from the Opti up to the Harness about half way back the Passenger Side of the intake manifold. As Mentioned, the Opti Harness is available thru Gary for about $50.

But as you said, you thing you have a problem with the Connector where the Opti Harness plugs in near the Evap Purge Solenoid. Couple of suggestions there.....

Before cutting into the Factory Harness....are you 100% sure it is the Connector(s) and not just a broken wire within the Harness? Cause it is possible 1 or more of the wires in the harness have a internal breakage of the wire. If thats the case, you need to find the break and splice in a new Pigtal just before the break or repair the wire.

Another thought, it could just be that the Pin(s) of the Harness have opened up a little bit and not making a solid connection to the other side of the connector. It is possiple to take the terminal apart, tighten up the female connection so it makes a solid connection to the other side and worst case, if the Pin on the individual wire(s) is loose or dirty, you could cut it off and recrimp a new terminal to the end. I would try this first before splicing in or cutting the factory harness. I try to avoid cutting into the factory harness where ever possible.
4DoorSS, yes you're right, I should have been more clear. I DO NOT need the short Opti harness itself. The issue I have is with the main engine harness, specifically the connector that attaches to the short opti harness.

Thank you for your suggestions. It's possible that the issue is a bad wire intermittently losing connection right at the harness connector (I've narrowed it down to either within the connector itself, or within about 1/4" of it) or it could be a relaxed terminal pin. I thought the best fix for either of these issues would be to simply swap the connector for new, if one can be found.

I appreciate everyone input, I've looked at eficonection but have not been able to locate the exact correct connector.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Usually the wire itself is broken at,or near the connector. Believe these are standard Metri-Pac 150 connectors,common in most all Metri-Pac repair kits. Or,can be sourced separately. If right at the connector,I replace the connector. If further away,I install a connector to a section of appropriate wire. Then simply splice with solder/shrink-wrap upstream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts