Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added 5/18: first 15 sold out!!

I broke the retaining clip on the Opti plug the other day. If any of you have looked at it, the connector is a "pull to seat" style connector meaning that the wire is run into the connector, then the terminal is crimped on. If you break the connector, you need to cut the wires if you want to replace just the connector.

I got sticker shock when I went and priced out a new Opti harness. $130 list, Dal/GMpartsdirect price is in the $90 range!!!!

So I did some digging, found all the parts to make the harness myself, and figured others would want them too. My harnesses will be the same length and use the same connectors as the factory harness. The only difference will be that I will use all black or all white wire in order to keep costs down. You can still trace the leads since the circuits listed in the FSM show wire color and cavity number (connector is labelled as well) in the connector end views.

Wire used will be TXL or GXL wire. TXL is the OEM wire, GXL has the same properties, but with thicker insulation.

How many would be interested in these for $33 shipped?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For that price I'd be in, I know my plug has been busted for a while now. Not sure if it's causing any issues but the price sounds right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I had a feeling I was not the only one that had a busted tab on the connector. Let me get one made up and get a pic up.

I'll set up payment/paypal info at that time too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timing is everything. I have a harness causing intermitent problems so I might even be in for two of these if you are going ahead with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
Timing is everything. I have a harness causing intermitent problems so I might even be in for two of these if you are going ahead with it.
I have 5 harnesses 1/2 built. Strangely, the grey connector that goes to the engine harness is no longer readily available. No problem though, fortunately, I have a more readily available Metri-Pack connector, and the mating connector can be installed on the engine harness can be replaced without cutting any wires.

Looks like right now, the harness will be sold as a complete harness, PLUS a mating connector that the buyer will install on the engine harness. All you need is a paper clip to remove the wires from the connector and you snap them back in to the new connector.

Pics of the harness are HERE and I will post payment info tomorrow. I should be able to ship the first run or harnesses this Friday.

Considering shipping costs, the added connector bodies and secondary locks, and paypal fees, I will most likely have to raise the price a few bucks, but the first run for all that have replied to date will remain at the original $33.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by MD-4DR6SPD:
Where do we send PayPal?
First 15 harnesses will sell at $33.

Paypal address is [email protected]

I got the rest of the mating connectors last night, so I will have enough material for the first 15.

I have last minute business trip to go on tonight and tomorrow, harnesses should still be ready to ship by Monday.

I'll post who's covered at the starting price as they come in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by lt1caprice709:
just pay pal for 2 of the first run harness the ones you do not have to change main harness connector. [email protected]
Not sure what you mean by not changing the connector. All of them will either require you modify the connector on the opti-hanress side, or change the connector on the engine harness side. I am holding the price on the first 15 harnesses to keep my original quoted price, so you are essentially getting the other connector for free, I am eating the cost.

I would recommend changing the engine harness connector, but I will have a pic on my website to show what you would have to do to modify the connecotr if you want to do that. All you need to change the connector is a small paper clip, or an x-acto knife to modify the retainer on the opti harness connector. When I get back into town, I'll get more pics up on my website on how to do it.

It'll all be clear once I get the install instructions up on the website.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.