Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have to say that it does sound like a little more plug and play than the Bob Bailey setup. But, it sounds like you end up with one set of long plug wires and one set of short plug wires for the Impala since the coil pack mounts on the drivers side valve cover, whereas with the Bailey setup you can mount the coil packs however you'd like since it's one coil per cylinder. And just where do those wires run?

I'd still like to see some pictures.

I like the idea of replacing the stock optical internals as well, something that the Bailey setup doesn't do. Does anybody know these folks ? Can we get some pictures?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is pretty cool. I wanna see some long term success stories first though!

On one page it says you can get it for $347, and on the other a few hundred more, and yet even more for full retail?

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am putting in my 10th Opti this week.

The Opti Plus system will be my next replacement.

Bob, you doing this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds very promising and the price is reasonable since it includes coils and wires. IMO it's a WAY better deal than the dynospark.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did anyone notice this in the description?

All Opti-Direct Systems include the following (except for 102-9013):
4-Coil Ignition Module with Application Specific Mounting Brackets (See Note Below)
Opti-Box Signal Adapter for Opti-Direct System
Complete GM Color-Coded Wiring Harness (Plug-and-Play...no splicing needed!)
Custom 8mm Ignition Wires
Stainless Steel Fasteners for Everything Needed for Installation
Detailed Instruction Manual

Why does it say 4-Coil? from that description, it doesnt say anywhere that it comes with coils...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 4 coil system from the Grand National possibly?
I'm going to call one of the creator, (Larry Strouth), either tonight or tomorrow and get specifics.
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 coil system from the northstar. literal plug and play.
I'm going to go visit the creator HP Works, Colonial Beach VA, tomorrow and possibly purchase it.
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehe, chuckle. It's good to have buddies just like me, who cannot keep their wallets in their pockets.

See, I'm trying to save cash for all the other things I need for the TH400 swap, (torque converter, shifter, drive shaft, speed sensors and reluctors, programming). And I go and tell Larry Strouth I wanna buy that opti eliminator tomorrow. What will power!

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Karl, the CNP setup will fire each plug with it's own coil. @ coil will fire once for @ complete firing order. @ coil on a DIS waste spark setup fires two plugs twice as often. It fires one plug on the compression stroke, and another plug (at the same time) on the exhaust stroke. The exhaust stroke ignition is basically a dead spark, IOW, fires a noncombustible gas mixture.

An HD motorcycle, prior to oem going to the 'single fire' ignition recently, was known for it's 'waste spark' ignition.

The advantage of the LS1 CNP ignition, is less firing of @ coil, IOW, more coil saturation time between firings. Compare that to the oem coil that fires 8X more often often than an LS1 coil ignition. Granted, for most modified engine combinations, the oem setup is adequate, but for a mega power setup, the oem setup is overtaxed, and the superiority of the LS1 ignition surfaces. BTW, even though I stated the oem is adequate for most modified combinations, which implies part throttle as well, I noticed an increased smoothness in part throttle conditions, with the LS1 ignition. This to me, would appear to defy logic. I have no noteworthy electrical explanation for this. :shrug:

Administrator: I could use a 'shrug' graemlin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Gary, I fully understand from your very good explanation. Also, that peer checks with what someone else just told me today about "waste spark". I met the creators of the Delteq today. I have already known Larry Strouth Sr. and Larry Strouth Jr. but the other guy they are working with is the computer and electronics brains, a guy named "JC"
He told me exactly what Gary just said.

So, what I saw today was a very neat and tidy plug and play system that is similar to the LTCC system but instead uses the Northstar 4 coil system. The expensive part is the Northstar ingniton module, which is factory stock and I forget what JC said cost an AutoZone but I think he said $230 and the 4 coils are $30 each or $120 total, (if you bought brand new). I bet Dal would have as good a price, I don't know.

I saw a ready to ship, plug and play system for $667 which has the harness, the brackets, the 4 coils, the Northstar ignition module, the delteq gizmo that replaces the impala ignition, pre fitted spark plug wires, and a very nice instruction manual.

You can also get the budget $350 system that does not have the northstar ignition module nor the coils nor the brackets nor the plug wires.
For $350 you would get the Delteq gizmo that replaces our ignition and the wireing harness...then you go get junkyard Northstar stuff and wires and your complete. I heard someone on z28.com say that they were quoted $100 for a complete Northstar module and coil set up. (know that the module is in a bracket that all 4 Northstar coils are plugged into so it's sort of a "one" piece item although the parts are separate).
JC has had the system on his Z28 for 6 months and has had no problems. I would think the one and only item that is "untested" is the "opti-box" or what I'm calling the gizmo. That is the one custom designed piece. It's like the LTCC box.
I didn't purchase it because I'm in the middle of a TH400 conversion and have no money. But I really want to get one. Possibly the fact that 2 of the principles are people that I have known for 4 years and are very nice people, it my taint my objectivity.

You can bet that if I do end up installing it, I'll report results here.

One thing I'm certain of, if I were in the market for an opti replacement right now, I would skip over the dynaspark opti upgrade and go right to the $667 complete system. I'd also think about getting the LTCC but of course it's a little more, but possibly very much worth the extra cash.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In case any of you have been struggling with what to get me for Christmas... This would be fine!!!

If you guys pool your money and buy this for me, I'll brutally test it for you and write up a fully detailed report on the installation and performance.

:D Could happen, right??? :D

Paul 'X'

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.