Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question is dumb....
When checking the opti-vent harness that ive read about for vacuum suction on a piece of napkin, are we talking about putting a piece of a napkin up to the little blue nipple thingy that plugs into the intake elbow? i cant take and put up a picture of it but if this is the piece were talking about i put a napkin up to it and it did not hold a suction to it fell right down, i need a new opti-vent harness correct?
If im not in the right place with this test can someone better describe perhaps even have a pic where this hose test is?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I pull the black vacuum hose off the blue elbow, and put the paper up to the that hose.

If the vacuum hose holds it good enough that you can flip the hose around and the paper not fall off, it's pulling enough vacuum.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Keep in mind, if it fails this test, it does not necessarily mean the harness is the problem. If your opti is not air tight and loosing vacuum, that would also cause this test to fail. In other words, the harness is only one of the things that could cause failure of this test.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i just did the same and no suction at all. Very possibly the reason my cars been acting up. I will have to get another one of those ASAP! anything else i should look into since thats not working? If thats not working then my opti must be bad too correct?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Even with a brand new opti and vent harness it takes 5-10 seconds for it to build enough vacuum to hold the paper on so don't be too hasty. Remember it's not designed to pull vacuum in there, it's function is to slowly move air through there.

Before you throw money at it, check the harness connections at the opti. They are on the underside of the opti behind the balancer. You can get at them from below the car, there is not much room but it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts