Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change just the cap and rotor but do you think this Mitsubishi sensor is damaged? As you can see some oil is in the area.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Was it causing problems, throwing codes, or not working at all?

What does the distributor side look like?

If it was not my only car I would buy a can of electronic contact cleaner and spray it clean and try it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it causing problems, throwing codes, or not working at all?

What does the distributor side look like?

If it was not my only car I would buy a can of electronic contact cleaner and spray it clean and try it.
This is just an extra one I bought. I wanted to just change out the rotor and cap since it has the Mitsubishi sensor. My car right now isn't turning over (it has fuel pressure) so I'd figure I'd switch this one with my old one. Only code it is throwing is the p0172.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
but do you think this Mitsubishi sensor is damaged
It's probably not damaged. It's probably got some oil film on it and the sensors (2 of them, top and bottom, 4 total) need cleaned. I'd remove the disc and use alcohol and some wadded up gauze to clean the optics. The lenses are plastic and some plastics are damaged by electrical cleaners. They have to be able to focus and even a slight film will prevent that.I have only used alcohol and then a wipe with some Windex on a gauze pad. If you remove the sensor then spray the aluminum with anything that will cut the oil. The 4 little optical windows are all that need to be cleaned real good. Don't forget the cap and rotor. It is just a distributor and they are wear items. If the seal on the cap is hardened and cracking you can find a new one at most any industrial hyddraulic supply store. It's just an o-ring. Take yours with you and they will match it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the seal on the cap is hardened and cracking you can find a new one at most any industrial hyddraulic supply store. It's just an o-ring. Take yours with you and they will match it.
Thanks on the info to clean the lenses. I didn't see any seal on this one. Where does it go?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a large "O" ring that goes around Opti base the cap seals to

also another that is a seal . Kinda a amber colored one on the white center plastic piece

pics
Yeah this one I opened didn't have that o-ring but I noticed the Amber one all deteriorated and turned brown.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I prefer dielectric grease to RTV,but that's me...

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
I prefer dielectric grease to RTV,but that's me...
yeah dialectic grease is what I use

Would be a PIA to scrape out RTV if used on these seals internally in the OPTI...IMHO

I guess some feel they need to but if I did use it, would be "external" of the Opti along the outside edge where the sections meet...But I don't and feel the dialectic grease on the O rings/amber ring themselves is good.

I have cleaned oil out of Opti and on optical sensor before by carefully using tissue or paper towel.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm sure dialectric grease would last for a while but that's not it's mail purpose in life. It really is very easy to get some 1/16" o-ring stock and lay it in the grooves then super glue the ends. You will have a proper o-ring seal, less chance of water/moisture intrusion and it's a proper repair. O-ring material is very cheap. Try not to use neoprene but find some Nitrile, Viton or EPDM material. Should last about forever........or at least it does for me.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Didn't say to use dialectic grease instead of a O ring....I use it "on" the on ring...

also on the rubber "boot/sleeve" of the long 4 pin connector that plugs into the Opti

dialectic grease if very commonly used on all kinds of electrical and ignition component wire connections

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure dialectric grease would last for a while but that's not it's mail purpose in life. It really is very easy to get some 1/16" o-ring stock and lay it in the grooves then super glue the ends. You will have a proper o-ring seal, less chance of water/moisture intrusion and it's a proper repair. O-ring material is very cheap. Try not to use neoprene but find some Nitrile, Viton or EPDM material. Should last about forever........or at least it does for me.
So 1/16 is the correct size?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts