Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck with what to do with my car (93 Roadie)... I have read up and realized that the cylinder heads and cam suck on my car.

I already plan to put in a eaton LSD 3.73 and a full rework of the exhaust (3" w/ xpipe & spintech muffs) after I purchase a new x-member to run dualies.

I would like to know what cams and would go best with Vortec heads (I will buy the vortec intake a tbi adapter too)? Should I just put a LT1 in my car? With a new cam/intake mani/cylinder heads I know I will need a higher converter, but how high?

I plan on using this on the street, and maybe go to the strip once or twice a year...

Any recommendations?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
first I'd say that dual 2.5" manderal pipes are gonna be enough with mufflers like Ultra flows. Then I'd say look into a "torque" cam with the vortec heads. Like an 845, 227, ZZ3(zz4), 500-502, 304, 305, or the like. Great cams that don't push the power bands TOO high. something around 215* duration at .050 is gonna be plenty for ya. Thats about all stock Vortecs (Iron LT1 copies) castings can support. but watch the lift #'s, vortec heads can't suport a ton in stock form. With cams, bigger is not always better. espially with all tha weight your dragging. As for stall, it all depends on: If you use a high quailty 9.5" unit, you can go a little higher, and not sacrife drivability. Depending on the amount of duration. More duration, more stall. Even the stock LT1 cam(191* duration) loves a 3000 stall. Then you step up to more duration like 210, and you easily have a cam that would love a 3500 stall. Now you really don't need to go quite that high, but as long as it doesn't stall over the torque peak, your cam/car is happy. Check out this: 350 cam page. 9 pages And no, the Hot cam is NOT the best cam. But that is open for debate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that helps alot.. could you possibly give a guess on the power gains I would see either rwHP or rwTQ... Also do you know if the vortec intake is higher or lower and is moved forward (towards the front of the car) or backward (towards the trunk) compared to stock L05 intake?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, I don't have any of those answers. an LO5, when done like an LT1, will give you around 20ish(when around a stock LT1 style configuration)less hp, because the compression ins't as high, the rings aren't low tension, low drag(as far as I know) and the Intake is one like used from a carb car. I've heard that a zz4 cam is worth 40 hp over an LT1 cam. But this was based on LT1(vortec, esentially) heads/ LT1 engine. but i donno how much the LT1 cam is worth over your cam. I'm not tring to say I'm an expert in this, just that I can show you a proper path to follow. I was reading a 6 heads shoot out on a 383,(CHP) and I'll say that the vortecs out shinned some more expensive heads, but also got stood up by some better stuff. But that the vortecs were a great bang for buck heads on a 350, and then you have them ported and they can really shine. I'll have to find the #'s, but they really pulled some nice flow #'s out of them(carcraft). I bet if you seach Vortec heads on here you can find it. Anyways, best of luck. and bet you could find some stuff to hold you over for the time being on the TBI list. I'll repost the link when I find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, since you said that there are some better heads out there I have been looking at TrickFlow heads... what is a recommended intake that I can put on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna be honest. I have NO idea. I remember reading about a TBI intake for VORTEC heads. But you could get by with the TBI intake, with a port match. It COULD restrict, so maybe they make a TBI intake, that is a performance dual plane carb intake, with an adapter? REally donno. I'll find the Trick Flow, flow #'s, and HP figures in that shoot out soon, and let you know. Vortecs are still the best bang for buck in my book. BUT they are iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.