Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The contacts of the optispark 2 inch connector that have melted down. Does anyone know the cause of the problem?

Here is a picture of Optispark:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sseabrook_tx/detail?.dir=/b206re2&.dnm=1b0bre2.jpg

Here is a picture of connector:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sseabrook_tx/detail?.dir=/b206re2&.dnm=8180re2.jpg&.src=ph

Full story:

The car has been having some long starts for a while with flicking interior lights.

After washing the engine for a car show I got an intermitten DTC 16: Low Resolution Pulse. The next day we went to car show and the car was hard to start and running real bad. It set DTC 36: Fault High Resolution Pulse or Extra Low Resolution Pulse Detected.

After checking a few things I decided to replace the Opti. The Opti on the car had 45K and I replaced it with a known good unit that had 100K with a new MSD cap and rotor. I'm almost sure I checked the 2 inch connector before reinstalling and it did not look bad.

After that swap the car ran good for a while then like crap and set DTC 42 Ignition Control Circuit (shorted or grounded Circuit). I pulled the Optispark 2 inch connector and saw it looked bad. I ordered a new optispark harness from Gary.

I put in a new harness and started the car. Same result car ran like crap and was setting DTC 42 and DTC 36. After a while the car would not start, it cranks fine but does not start. I check the ICM wiring and replaced the ICM with a new unit and car does not start.

I pulled the 2 inch connector for the optispark and and it pulled one of the pins from control circuit. So the optispark on car is missing a pin and this is why the car will not start.

The picture of the optispark is from the 45K unit and harness is the OEM unit. The new harness from Gary is fine. I checked the continunity from the 2 inch connector to the PCM and it is fine.

Do any of know what is the cause of this connector meltdown? I know I need to replace the optispark. I am concerned that I am treating the symptom and not the problem.

Thanks,

Jose Rodriguez

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pic links you provided, are saying OXIDIZED(green color) pins, NOT melting?

Oxidation does not make for good conductivity.

Pick up a tube of Dielectric Grease(DG)[it seals out moisture & therefore prevents corrosion on electrical connectors],
and when you install your new Opti, apply a light coat on pins, and bellows seal on plastic connector.

DG is available @ most auto part stores.

You mention lights are flickering also?
Make certain you've got the Improved Brass Auxiliary Battery Post> www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopexd.asp?id=137
And remove both Battery Cables to inspect for hidden corrosion.
Clean all mating surfaces with wire brush until shiny, then coat with DG.

:eek: I would also pull every engine sensor connector, and inspect their pins for corrosion too!!!! :eek:
And before you reconnect each connector, apply a bead of DG to bellows seal, to inhibit moisture infiltration.

[ 05-26-2007, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: LarryCigar ]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did. Thanks for the help.

Jose Rodriguez

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the way to the Nationals my Opti died in the middle of Oklahoma. It good thing I was riding with John Ruffo, RMS Auto Parts. We replaced my NAPA rebuilt opti with MSD cap and rotor for a new GM unit on the side of the road. It took about 2 hours.

I took apart the failed unit. Not sure what happened first but the rotor had separated from the screw holes and the timing plate came off. I returned the Opti to NAPA for a full refund. They even refunded the core charge. I have also returned the MSD Cap and rotor to Summit Racing for a refund.

Jose Rodriguez

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just adding my .02 here, I did what Larry suggested and used Die electric grease on the pins, then applied a thin layer of Permetex orange gasket sealer on the rubber ribbed seal on the harness connector and installed it....Same effect, seals out moisture or worse.....Anti-Freeze from a leaking water pump... :eek: .

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IT'S AMAZING!
Some members seem to have Anti-Frezze infiltration problems with there Opti's, while others have NONE!

Not a bad idea to think about what Mike has mentioned in above ^^^ post.

Could save you lot of grief! :eek:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jose (& anyone else), never put any connector together without SOME kind of oil/grease on the contacts. I squirt a light, synthetic grease into every pin & socket. If you are on the side of the road without any WD-40, etc., use motor oil from the dip stick to lube the pins & sealing rubber for the connector. I have never had any problem from using any kind of oil/grease on any connectors.

Good to meet you at the nats, Jose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts