Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i gotta replace the old opti, in my 96 LT1, seems like im going to have to pull the crank pulley out to get the damned thing outta there, is there anything else i need to know before i take it off, i mean how do i keep from screwing with the timing of the engine, and is there only one way the opti will go back in, i jus dont wanna do it wrong, Thanks

96 lt1, K&N intake, MSD ignition, Flowmasters, 5% tint, coming soon power programmer,

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Distributor only goes on one way, the dowel pin goes in the elongted slot on the distrbutor drive. Timing doesnt need to be touch, all comp. controled. Remove water pump, air pump crank pulley, not crank hub unless u want to. Good time the replace the timing cover seals. Do a search for opti replacement, lotsa info on here from all these guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx

hey one more ?? does it matter a whole lot on which brand opti i go with there are a couple oem replacement sites out there with pretty affordable units then theres accel, n msd wit the 400dollar units, does it really make a diff

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've always had luck with delco, I put a delphi in my friends car, it also seems like a good piece. He got it off ebay from thepartsladi and remember to get a new vac. harness and check the electrical harness also for the opti.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
hey one more ?? does it matter a whole lot on which brand opti i go with there are a couple oem replacement sites out there with pretty affordable units then theres accel, n msd wit the 400dollar units, does it really make a diff
Delco or Delphi only. All the rest are marginal to bad.

·
Registered
452 Posts
while were on the subject, im not very mechanically inclined so i definetly would probably pass on the diy. how much do you think a chevy dealership would charge for putting on an opti? im guessing if i bought my own parts and brought it to them itd be cheaper too correct?

and for the guy in the above posts i seen optis for sale on ebay, i think refurbished, for $89.99. has anyone ever bought from them?

·
Registered
286 Posts
AC Delco is worth the extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
while were on the subject, im not very mechanically inclined so i definetly would probably pass on the diy. how much do you think a chevy dealership would charge for putting on an opti? im guessing if i bought my own parts and brought it to them itd be cheaper too correct?

My guess, it would be around $500 labor, but I could be wrong. I belive they are around 4 hrs, $100 bucks a hour= $400 plus tax(if u have it) and shop supplies. Its just a guess, but I know it wont be cheap considering they are going to lose out on parts markup and they try to make it up in labor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks Guys
local mechanic did mine for less than $200 after i bought parts.... but then i realized how easy it is im on my 3rd opti replacement...check and double check your vent harness thats how i fried 2 of my optis it wasnt suckin enough air

·
Registered
452 Posts
well i think it was fred khiel that said awhile ago to pull the vent and see if it would stick a piece of paper toilette tissue. I tried this at the little blue tip end and had no suction, and this was back when he said it so that possibly why my car isnt running.

anybody know some good local mechanics in the tampa/clearwater area?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I replaced mine a few months ago. Got the NAPA Opti cause it was cheaper than the orig Delco or MSD. So far so good. Only time will tell though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts