Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car had a fresh coat of paint about a year ago. I have been using the Ice polish every couple of washes and about a month ago I used Meguiars wax on my car. Now on my hood and roof I can see and feel little bumps on my paint and swrils on the roof the finish almost looks oxidized. The car is black and the rest of the body panels look good. I did'nt know if I should try a clay bar or something else on this. I will try to post some pics tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
You can try a clay bar, and I hate to ask this but who painted it, did they use shi**y paint, wax won't do that as far as if you are changing brands, I personally wouldn't use that ICE sh**, it is junk. Mothers or meguiars I have used for years on black cars that I have owned and no issues, pictures would be good though.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If it's really significant orange peel, you are going to need to wet sand, then use rubbing compound and eventually re-apply the wax. Where did the swirl marks come from? Are you using a buffer with polish or something?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cars with paint that new should not be waxed. It will yellow the clear. Im sure the oxidation is from the wax. If you can i would get some wax and grease remover from a local paint store and strip all the wax off. Then wet sand it with 2000 grit and if you cant do it have it buffed by a professional, not by some dude that says i can do it. A black paint job seperates the men from the boys and you really have to know what your doin to get it to look right. If this was all done after the paint job most painters will recommend to do it again after a year or so. the paint takes that long to fully cure and as you sand you will actually smell the solvents coming through as you break into the clear. this is a good thing. im sure you can still save it

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Cars with paint that new should not be waxed. It will yellow the clear. Im sure the oxidation is from the wax. If you can i would get some wax and grease remover from a local paint store and strip all the wax off. Then wet sand it with 2000 grit and if you cant do it have it buffed by a professional, not by some dude that says i can do it. A black paint job seperates the men from the boys and you really have to know what your doin to get it to look right. If this was all done after the paint job most painters will recommend to do it again after a year or so. the paint takes that long to fully cure and as you sand you will actually smell the solvents coming through as you break into the clear. this is a good thing. im sure you can still save it
I don't know how much I believe that it takes a year for paint to cure, maybe if it was in a constant 30 degree environment, but usual rule of thumb is if the car is in at least 70 degree temperature for 30 days it can be waxed, some claim 90 days dependent on how good the clear is. That being said it is relative to humidity as well. As long as he didn't wax it with that ICE stuff right after the paint job I am sure that it will be fine, but if it was some off the shelf clear it could be more adherent to cure time and the oxidation rule would come into affect as stated. It is more solvent pop than oxidation though, which in certain instances can look like oxidation of course.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know how much I believe that it takes a year for paint to cure, maybe if it was in a constant 30 degree environment, but usual rule of thumb is if the car is in at least 70 degree temperature for 30 days it can be waxed, some claim 90 days dependent on how good the clear is. That being said it is relative to humidity as well. As long as he didn't wax it with that ICE stuff right after the paint job I am sure that it will be fine, but if it was some off the shelf clear it could be more adherent to cure time and the oxidation rule would come into affect as stated. It is more solvent pop than oxidation though, which in certain instances can look like oxidation of course.
very true. depending on the circumstances of where the car has been. My dad paints cars for a living and he will paint em wet sand em and then let them sit for as long as the customer will allow. the longer you wait to buff the better it will look. Ive seen him cycle paint in the winter where he'll pull it outside for 24hrs and then in the shop for 24hrs and do this back and forth for like a week. and you say you CAN wax after 30 days but why? the paint is not gona look any better although it "protects" it theres really no point. I guess it just depends on what wax you use but i was always told to stay away from carnuba wax because that will yellow the clear. I would talk to some painters and see what they all recommend but every painter is different. BTW the car in your sig looks great what did your painter recommend to do? just curious

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Very good points bud, and you are right about waxing after, hell my car in the sig hasn't had wax on it yet :) As far as my paint guy he is a good friend and he had stated previous to me to wait at least 30 days, of course I waited longer, hell I think that I waited almost 60 before I wet sanded and buffed it out, I did glaze it however. You are right on Carnuba for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I will work on some pics tomorrow. The body shop that did my paint has been around for over 40 years. They have done alot of work for me before and I have never had any problems. I guess maybe I was so happy with the new paint I was trying to do too much, with my other cars it was just wash and go. I might take it to someone to look at, I got a nice door ding the other day too and see what they can do with that at the same time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did glaze it however..

yea glazing aint gona hurt it at all.. you have to glaze it after buffing if you wana get all the buffer marks out, but once again you cant just use the cheapest stuff you find we use MAGII here at the shop.. little more expensive but the stuff is awesome

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah I knew that :) I used the high priced sh$% that is for sure, hell I think that the compound and all that stuff that I bought was as much as the paint for my car LOL, I think that I am going to go over my car this winter one more time with the buffer maybe wetsand it again to get it really glossy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts