Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Wow, an SS with that little mileage shouldn't be a DD! Those original wheels and tires should come off pronto and be preserved. Everyone's right, they're dangerous when they're that old and have been used that little, but certainly don't scrap them: original tires are one of those awesome things that can set apart a car at shows and whatnot (that's really what a 30,000 mile SS should be used for!).

· Registered
306 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead with tires on my car over 6 years old, unless it could somehow be proven beyond any shadow of any doubt that the tires never saw any sunlight.
That seems a little conservative for a garage-kept car, assuming proper inflation and no winter usage. Sure, not for autocrossing, maybe, but 10 years should be easy for a set of low-mileage, well-stored rubber.

Tire companies get a bit conservative because they want you to buy new tires :).

· Registered
306 Posts
These tires are far closer to 20 years old,than they are to 10 (17+ actually) I don't know what one could use them for,but they are unsafe for vehicle operation on public roads.
As long as they hold air and support the car, they'd be great show tires for a concourse vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.