Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go out because the new belt I put on when I put on a new tension a few weeks ago is chirping. I decide to "flip" it back to front as someone else mentioned fixed their noise. Didn't help; crappy Advance Auto's belt. Luckily I had my old gatorback belt on the workbench (it was fine but I didn't know that till I took it off).

Anyways, I when I was under the car I noticed that my water pump is wet on the weephole. This is the FOURTH NEW Bosch water pump in less than three years. FRAK!!!

So, taking into account of the factory installed, the TWO dealer replaced by the previous owner (I have all the paperwork), two I replaced between 1998 and 2007 and now four between 2007 and today...

That's NINE pumps which failed in 15.5 years. And ever time it's been cold when I noticed them leaking.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
So I go out because the new belt I put on when I put on a new tension a few weeks ago is chirping. I decide to "flip" it back to front as someone else mentioned fixed their noise. Didn't help; crappy Advance Auto's belt. Luckily I had my old gatorback belt on the workbench (it was fine but I didn't know that till I took it off).

Anyways, I when I was under the car I noticed that my water pump is wet on the weephole. This is the FOURTH NEW Bosch water pump in less than three years. FRAK!!!

So, taking into account of the factory installed, the TWO dealer replaced by the previous owner (I have all the paperwork), two I replaced between 1998 and 2007 and now four between 2007 and today...

That's NINE pumps which failed in 15.5 years. And ever time it's been cold when I noticed them leaking.

I highlighted your problem. I had one for 11,000 miles/7 months and it went bad. I went to the no name pepboys rebuild and it was good for 2yrs. I only replaced it because the one heater connection was leaking at the press fit. The Duralast pump had a 1yr+ on it, and it was still going when I sold it to Cory.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My current Caprice has over 170K on what I believe is the original pump. If not it was replaced over 50K miles ago. I have a brand new ACDelco one waiting to go in. I figure if i have to take the water pump off to replace the optispark I'm not putting the old one back on. - Peter

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I highlighted your problem. I had one for 11,000 miles/7 months and it went bad. I went to the no name pepboys rebuild and it was good for 2yrs. I only replaced it because the one heater connection was leaking at the press fit. The Duralast pump had a 1yr+ on it, and it was still going when I sold it to Cory.
Been there. Three of mine were pepboys remains. I finally spent the extra on a "new" and thought that'd solve the problem for good :( Hard to pass up the free-replacement warranty since I do the work myself. But, maybe it's time to get a duralast.

How the heck do I tell if the drive shaft is bent? I'm guessing you mean on the engine side.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
There comes a time when doing your own work becomes impractical and that is about the first time you have to re-do it. Take it somewhere where the parts and labor are guaranteed. My original lasted 200,000. It was replaced 30,000 ago with a new Delco by someone who knows what they are doing and guarantees the work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Been there. Three of mine were pepboys remains. I finally spent the extra on a "new" and thought that'd solve the problem for good :( Hard to pass up the free-replacement warranty since I do the work myself. But, maybe it's time to get a duralast.

How the heck do I tell if the drive shaft is bent? I'm guessing you mean on the engine side.

I'm not too sure how you could check it besides some specialty tools. I highly doubt that's the problem, but if youre consistently replacing water pumps then I would start checking into other issues. Maybe your coolant is too old and its eating away at the inside of the water pump? Sounds impractical, but I've seen it before.....

or maybe theres something in your cooling system messing up the water pumps?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts

if it makes you feel any better...I had 8 replaced by dealer (and optis to) before my SS had hit 36k miles and went out of warrenty. After the last WP I looked under the car after 500 miles and it to leaked.

I took the car back to dealer after I pulled the WP and installed a EWP. They gave me a new delco WP that has been a door stop in my garage for the last 13 years.

If you ever pull a OEM oump apart you would be amazed how the F the thing holds water. If GM would have spent $.02 more on the BS POS spring seal part that fails my feeling these pumps would last longer. OEM pumps should last 100k and many do.

Have had EWP on for 13 years now with no issues.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
IIRC my factory pump lasted 135K :0
Mine barely began to weep around 100K on the sedan, the two wagon I don't know the history.

I have good results with the parts store remans.

IMO these and many other problems come done not only to parts selection but the quality of the guy behind the wrench.

I don't have any of the "major" issues attributed to these cars despite owning 3 and putting over 200K total on them all being bought used with 50k-172K on them when I purchased.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My stock WP lasted about 86k I wanna say. The car sat in the driveway undriven for about 4 or 5 years until I was old enough to drive it. I would say that old coolant played a role in its premature death. But I have a new Duralast unit from Auto Zone with a warranty. Its lasted about 5k miles so well see how well it will last.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Caprice had 99K when I bought it and it has 177K now. I noticed while changing the balancer (where the outer ring had separated) that the wp was slightly damp underneath. Looking through the paperwork that came with the car, I have no evidence that the water pump has ever been changed.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Mine started weeping around 100K, the seal finally failed around 125K. I've got a Carquest reman on it now, 10K so far so good.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Do you think Bars Leaks powder recommended by GM makes the WP last longer?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts