Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to know if there was ever a paint recall on the paint jobs on some of these cars? I've got a '93 Caprice Classic with the clearcoat-on-maroon. It was owned by my friend's family since new, and the clear coat started peeling about 9-10 years ago. I don't expect to get a new paint job (after all, it IS 17 years old!), but was just curious to know if Chevy ever took responsibility for this problem... My friend seemed to think that there was, but his grandfather never did anything about it.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It was owned by my friend's family since new, and the clear coat started peeling about 9-10 years ago.
Sounds like grandpa also never/rarely waxed or properly protected the paint job on the car either. That many years of neglect and you guessed it......Clear coat's gonna start peeling! I've seen cars that were less than 5 yrs old that had badly oxidized paint and clear coat starting to peel, All because of neglect on the owners part.......cwm5

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
If you complained about the paint failing within a certain amount of years when the car was new (I forget how many months paint is covered for) you COULD of gotten a free warranty paint job.

In 2010, No one is going to get a free-o paint job on one of these cars. Too much time has passed.

Clear coat peeling/ fading is very common on these cars. The paint formula was very poor. The 91-3 willow-run cars seem to be worse peelers. Same goes for the seam sealer that was used, Cheap stuff! Now a days GM paint is much better. If you live in a area with cloudy sky's it may last longer. If its sunny where you live, Forget it, goodbye paint.

I learned something living here. Its not necessarily the SUN that burns up the paint, Its WATER. When you get that morning dew on your car its basically 100,000's (maybe more) magnifying glasses burning holes in the clear coat once the sun comes out. Wax just fills in those holes so the paint will have a chance lasting a little bit longer. Once the damage is done, No wax is going to help. In an abusive climate with acid rain, Heavy downpours and high tempertures, No wax is going to last for long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... this paint is FAR beyond the point of even TRYING to wax now. :D Trunk lid, hood, and roof. (you can see in pics)

I will be painting soon, and am trying to decide on whether to keep the original color (maroon) or have it repainted black to match my truck. I LOVE how the impala's look dressed in black.

I seem to remember hearing about a recall in the early 90's on certain colors that GM was using with the clear coat. If I remember correctly, it was the maroon and the light blue and had to do something with the chemical make-up of the colors not properly adhering to the primer.

I'm not looking for a free paint job on a 17 year-old car obviously... I'm not that naive, so don't even go there. cwm3 Was just curious if any serious impala and caprice buffs had heard of this recall, and what the specific circumstances were. If I get it painted with original colors, I want to be sure the same mistake is not repeated.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
After I bought my car in 2002, I bought a 1 year subscription to Alldata. Among the services was a list of TSB's and recalls which I printed. So at least for the 94 RM, there were no paint recalls. If you want a good paint job, then you will pay for it. At least in my area, there are some good shops ($$) that will guarantee their work and paint forever to the original owner. Color has nothing to do with it - it is the preparation, formula, and the process used. No doubt, sun is my biggest paint factor here. Rubber and plastic.......same problem. I suggest you have a good insurance policy and park under an aging tree limb on a windy day. In CA, the owner has the right to select the shop of HIS choice. Now on your 93, a good paint job would far exceed the value of your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suggest you have a good insurance policy and park under an aging tree limb on a windy day. In CA, the owner has the right to select the shop of HIS choice.
I'm not big on "cheating" the system by MAKING something happen... :) Plus, I've only got collision on it right now... once I start adding things to it and updating, I'll upgrade the insurance on it.

I have a shop up my way in mind for the paint... they do a GREAT job... very professional and it shows in all thier work. I'm able to choose the shop with my insurance company for the most part. FineLines Auto Body in Brookline, NH is where I brought my '91 Honda Prelude SI to get painted, and it came out looking as nice as a Ferrari! I recommend them to everyone up this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts