Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to know if there was ever a paint recall on the paint jobs on some of these cars? I've got a '93 Caprice Classic with the clearcoat-on-maroon. It was owned by my friend's family since new, and the clear coat started peeling about 9-10 years ago. I don't expect to get a new paint job (after all, it IS 17 years old!), but was just curious to know if Chevy ever took responsibility for this problem... My friend seemed to think that there was, but his grandfather never did anything about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... this paint is FAR beyond the point of even TRYING to wax now. :D Trunk lid, hood, and roof. (you can see in pics)

I will be painting soon, and am trying to decide on whether to keep the original color (maroon) or have it repainted black to match my truck. I LOVE how the impala's look dressed in black.

I seem to remember hearing about a recall in the early 90's on certain colors that GM was using with the clear coat. If I remember correctly, it was the maroon and the light blue and had to do something with the chemical make-up of the colors not properly adhering to the primer.

I'm not looking for a free paint job on a 17 year-old car obviously... I'm not that naive, so don't even go there. cwm3 Was just curious if any serious impala and caprice buffs had heard of this recall, and what the specific circumstances were. If I get it painted with original colors, I want to be sure the same mistake is not repeated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suggest you have a good insurance policy and park under an aging tree limb on a windy day. In CA, the owner has the right to select the shop of HIS choice.
I'm not big on "cheating" the system by MAKING something happen... :) Plus, I've only got collision on it right now... once I start adding things to it and updating, I'll upgrade the insurance on it.

I have a shop up my way in mind for the paint... they do a GREAT job... very professional and it shows in all thier work. I'm able to choose the shop with my insurance company for the most part. FineLines Auto Body in Brookline, NH is where I brought my '91 Honda Prelude SI to get painted, and it came out looking as nice as a Ferrari! I recommend them to everyone up this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.