Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i go to get my car registered and title transferred finally and they tell me the estimated state persumtual value (80% of it) is $3740!!!! on a 96 caprice? 9c1? is this right? :confused:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NA that value had nothin to do with tickets and etc... i had to pay sales tax (6.25%) of 80% of the estimated spv (state persumptual value) which ended up being $3740 ( in tx you pay sales tax on which ever is higher the spv or how much you paid for the vehicle). i couldnt and still cant understand why it was so high being a 96 caprice....

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
The reason it's higher than it should be is so the state can hit you up for extra cash. Everybody is hurting for money these days...

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Let me get this straight...you are being asked to pay $3700 (part registration and the rest tax @ 6.25%?)

Registration can't be more than $200, so $3500 in taxes? That means the car is worth $70k (100% of car) less 20% would mean 6.25% on $56,000.

WTF you are getting ripped of buddy.

Or you have the baddest Caprice EVAR!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No their saying the vehicle is valued at $3740, So he has to pay 6.25% tax on 80% of that value

So he has to pay 6.25% tax on $2992 which comes to $187

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No their saying the vehicle is valued at $3740, So he has to pay 6.25% tax on 80% of that value

So he has to pay 6.25% tax on $2992 which comes to $187
close but the 3740 is already 80% of whatever the 100% was.... ya followin me? i bought the car for way less and they were sayin i had to pay 6.25 tax of 3740.... so the full value im guessin was over 4gs or so....
idk i ended up leaving and goin to another location and fed the rep some mumbo jumbo and paid tax on what i actually paid (in TX they go by which ever is higher outa what you paid or the est. spv if its an individual selling the vehicle, i said the dude was an out of state dealer in CA :D)

·
Registered
346 Posts
damn I just dropped 22 bucks to register my car last month

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just went to the KBB site to check the value of a 96 caprice. Value for a 1996 caprice with 95K miles on it was $2435 in excellent condition to $1710 in fair condition. You might want to question the source of their value. They are stating the value at twice what KBB states which constitutes fraud. I'd contact the State Attorney General's office or your State Representative and push the issue. If they don't listen, then call your local TV station and try to get the investigative reporting people on it.

When Texas when to this valuation, they lumped everything in the same status regardless of the condition of the vehicle. Their position was that people were underestimating the value of the vehicles when changing registration.

Always pull your tags off your current vehicle if your selling it or trading it. You can transfer the tags to the new vehicle for a small fee. They don't tell you this but if you read the fine print on the renewals it's there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's messed up. I wonder what system they use to value cars? It's crazy because if you paid $500, you should only have to pay taxes on $500, not based on the value of the car.

Here in Florida, they charge taxes based on the amount you actually paid for the car (Whatever is listed on the title). Sometimes, they ask for a bill of sale to back it up. Although, I've got registrations without a bill of sale many times. On the other hand, if you go into the office without a price listed on the title, they will charge taxes based on the vehicles value.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The reason Texas went to a set sales tax figure is people like myself and many others would say i gave 1000 bucks for a used car and i just had to pay 6.25% taxes on the 1000 bucks.. too many were doing things like that and saying they paid 100 bucks for a car because it had mechanical problems when they bought it.

I would check to see where they are getting their figures before paying that 6.25% tax.

A lot of states do not have a sales tax on their cars when they buy them but they get hit with higher license tags than we do in Texas or inspections.

If not that a lot of states have a "state income tax" and Texas does not have a state income tax

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You may want to check and see if they are valuing your car as an Impala SS. Since you cannot tell by the VIN, many of these cars come back as 'Chevrolet Caprice/Impala SS' when you look the VIN up. This happened to me on my '95 9C1 on my property taxes. They automatically assumed it was an Impala instead of a Caprice. One phone call cut my personal property tax bill on that car by nearly half!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may want to check and see if they are valuing your car as an Impala SS. Since you cannot tell by the VIN, many of these cars come back as 'Chevrolet Caprice/Impala SS' when you look the VIN up. This happened to me on my '95 9C1 on my property taxes. They automatically assumed it was an Impala instead of a Caprice. One phone call cut my personal property tax bill on that car by nearly half!
ya i think thats what happend but they couldnt change it and it didnt let me do a model. idk.... :confused:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Always pull your tags off your current vehicle if your selling it or trading it. You can transfer the tags to the new vehicle for a small fee. They don't tell you this but if you read the fine print on the renewals it's there.
We save a lot of money doing it that way. My dad will register the car with the lowest valve, then transfer it to his newest car. then a week or so later, do it again. We also seem to buy a LOT of cars in the $300-$700 range. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts